My biggest concern is up the middle on Defense
by Voisman (2019-04-16 12:31:01)

In reply to: Deep thoughts  posted by SEE

How does Lamb, Bauer, and Simon stack up to last years LBs? I have already read here that it looks like Lacey and other young guys are going to have to play early.

Indeed - can we stop the run?
by PeteatND  (2019-04-16 12:55:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll choose to be optimistic and say that our improved OL and RB corps (I think Lance Taylor will prove to be an important pick-up) has led to an uptick in the running game, but we'd be naive to think that the success we had on the ground on Saturday didn't have anything to do with weakness up the middle of the D.

Bilal looked confused and late to react, Genmark-Heath looks promising but hesitant to be physical, and Simon is still really new to the inside. Lamb was unavailable over the weekend, so hopefully his inclusion will help, but Mike/Buck look like spots we'll have to game-plan around. And the DTs (while talented) are universally undersized to boot.

Hence, ability to stop the run becomes one of the 2 key question marks of the season - alongside the ability of our pop-gun offense to score against elite competition. But that's a question mark every year.

Would an OC call plays in spring practice knowing the DL/LB
by Voisman  (2019-04-16 15:43:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are weak up the middle? Am I being paranoid thinking that you wouldn't want to reveal too much in the spring. I mean, these games are televised after all. ???