I always remember 1991 blocked FG vs Tennessee right before
by Raoul (2019-05-11 11:15:12)
Edited on 2019-05-11 11:15:42

In reply to: what did you think ND’s most infamous play is of all time?  posted by Inigomontoya

the end of the half. We were going to go up 34-7 on a short FG and somehow 20 seconds later it was 31-14 going into half. They won the game 35-34. I just remember being stunned that under Holtz we could lose such a huge lead with what was a great team loaded with legit future NFL players.

Just blame Gary Darnell.
by domer4  (2019-05-11 22:24:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He may have been Holtz's BVG.

If I recall correctly, the blocked
by Homeboy73  (2019-05-11 13:58:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

field goal right before half also resulted in an injury to our kicker, and at the end of the game, down 1, our reserve walk-on kicker misssed a modest length field goal. Game was at Notre Dame, I think.

Yes, yes it was
by ndhouston  (2019-05-11 15:46:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hentrich was injured, and a walk-on (Pendergast, I think) missed a field goal at the end of the game. Later commentary talked about how fortunate Tennessee was that ND's walkon backup kicker was kicking into the south end zone, rather than at Touchdown Jesus.

At any rate, we lost. I still hate Johnny Majors.

Then the Irish lost the next week, on the road and by a lot, to Penn State. We used to use other descriptors of that game, but those graphical references have not aged well in light of Penn State's issues.

Then the #18 Irish received an invite to take on Steve Spurrier's #3 Gators in New Orleans. That game remains the greatest ND victory I have ever attended in person - even better than the November 1993 FSU game. Spurrier was a better villain than Bowden, and New Orleans was a better venue than South Bend.

Rob Leonard was the kicker *
by guinness1940  (2019-05-12 16:41:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to all 3 of those games
by Bullah  (2019-05-11 20:49:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brutal loss to TN. Then at PSU was rough.
ND fans outnumbered in Sugar Bowl. Great win. Sparse crowds on Bourbon Street after as UF fans went home sulking.

That was brutal.
by MobileIrish  (2019-05-11 12:54:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Team still had an outside shot at playing for the title if they could take care of business. The season fell apart after that play. That team had a ton of talent. Fortunately they were able to regroup in a memorable Sugar Bowl win over Spurrier and Florida.