Only way out of that ..
by TWO (2019-05-15 12:57:34)

In reply to: This fails to address the 800 pound gorilla in the room  posted by NJDoubleDomer

is to pay the players, make them employees of the Ath Dept.

Then like in all pro sports they negotiate their salaries. In the NFL the centers, for example Nick Martin, works just as hard as Deshaun Watson but he's never going to make what Watson makes. So it will be if colleges start compensating kids out of the money the Ath Dept brings in as a result of ticket sales, merchandise sales, their share of TV contracts, etc.

If that is what you want we might as well kill college football.

Which makes sense until you start looking at what you mean
by Steelhop  (2019-05-15 13:47:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by that. Most people think that only means the revenue producing sports - football and men's basketball. But, as soon as you pay them, you also have to pay your scholarship non-revenue sport's players the same amount. This why about 5 years ago the NCAA was said they were thinking about it but ran the numbers. Just not going to happen.

I can get behind a likeness revenue type of model but, as someone said, the school should get a cut of whatever a player generates e.g. does the ND player wearing no 3 get someone to pay for his autograph because he is good or that number 3 is a big number in ND lore. My guess is that it is a little of both.

could a different governing board be created
by fourputtmd  (2019-05-15 17:08:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I.e. football and basketball not part of the NCAA...hence skirt that issue

and title IX. They have to pay women an equal amount. *
by 84david  (2019-05-15 14:13:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They wouldn't pay them, they would drop the progrmas.
by weirdo0521  (2019-05-16 12:04:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Revenue sports cover attempt to cover the non revenue sports. If they have to start paying the the players on the $$ producing sports, they won't take long to decide to drop the others

Schools would have men's fb and bb only
by Irish Warrior  (2019-05-16 13:44:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and enough women's sports to cover Title IX.

Bingo *
by weirdo0521  (2019-05-17 16:43:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND and other schools would maintain their licensing
by jt  (2019-05-15 14:03:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

agreements (I believe ND is separate and everyone else is through their conference and/or the NCAA but I might be wrong).

Therefore, if someone buys a #3 jersey so that Arnaz Battle (or whomever) might autograph it, ND gets the money from the sale of the jersey and AB would get the money from the autograph.

and that has been the path that many are advocating for
by jt  (2019-05-15 13:26:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

however, I think it is very dangerous and would likely kill the sport at most institutions unless the NFL could get on board and fund (unlikely, IMO. They'll wait until the last minute before starting funding on a minor league and would likely want more control over player's time than the NCAA would be comfortable with).

The image and likeness benefits everyone; if a kid can profit off of his name and his popularity, more power to him. The school can give him a scholarship and he can also get an education and training in his preferred fields (athletic and otherwise).

In practice this would create an interesting test to see how
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-05-15 15:14:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

much coaches really do care about their players. A very quick search showed an article from this past Fall that reported Dabo received a condo valued in the 250-300k range and a 100k donation to his charity as part of an endorsement deal for a hotel that he did with a real estate developer. If the rules were changed how much of a deal like this would he be willing to cut his players in on?

I agree -- image and likeness $, coming from actual third
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-15 13:39:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

parties, is the only way to maintain college football. Schools will compete on how much marketing they do for the players and how strong the school's name is in the market.

Paying players as employees would be the end of it all. Then you have to start talking about salary caps, the players will have to pay taxes, surely agents will be involved, yada yada yada mini-NFL puke.