Mine too. We should form a Support Group
by DAngelotti (2019-06-05 08:39:40)

In reply to: He interrupted my life for five years. *  posted by CJC

I was at ND for the first four years of Gerry’s tenure. I always felt that balanced my dad’s four years with Leahy (1946-50).

I'm in - I also was 0-4 vs. Air Force in my undergrad years
by domer86  (2019-06-05 11:00:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The legend that was the Class of 1986.....

Don't forget losing to Arkansas Little-Rock as a #3 seed in the first round senior year.....

Thank you Gerry and Digger

At least you had a great graduation speaker...oh wait
by 2020  (2019-06-07 00:11:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was a different class.

We had Bishop James Malone from Youngstown, Ohio
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-06-07 21:35:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For our 1986 commencement. Worst speaker ever.

Yep
by tf86  (2019-06-13 18:16:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I enjoyed graduation immensely, other than that. I think I fell asleep during his speech.

At least you got to replace the 10-17 with 23-6
by domer4  (2019-06-05 14:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The class of 1985 was not so lucky.

Obviously, some very bad luck moved to ND in the spring of 1981 and it has never recovered.

Class of 2001 checking in.
by OITLinebacker  (2019-06-05 15:29:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never had a NC winning coach in Football since we stepped foot on campus in 1997. I think the class of 2000 (or was in 1999) managed to get out without winning a NC in a single sport not even fencing? If it weren't for Muffet, Ruth, and company pulling out the NC in WBB I think 2001 would've joined them in that infamy.

I thought for sure when I got to campus in 1997 that I would see ND win a football NC while I was on campus. 22 years later and despite working on campus since graduation, still no joy.

On a similar note, I saw the last game in ND stadium that featured a #1 ranked ND team (BC 1993, ouch) and I never did dream then that it was the last time....

Since you brought it up (sorta)
by tf86  (2019-06-13 21:51:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a member of the Class of '86, if you had told me when I graduated that ND would win a national championship in women's basketball before they would win one in men's basketball, I would have told you that you were crazy. In fact, we played USC in women's basketball my junior year, IIRC. Consensus was that one player on the ND team (Trina Keys) could have made the USC squad, but that she would have been buried on the bench.

The lack of a basketball national championship, or even a Final Four appearance since 1978, bothers me as much as football.

Only NC for the class of 1986 was fencing
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-06-07 21:41:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the fencing coach (Mike DeCicco) was the only NC-winning coach on campus, unless you count Lou Holtz for spring practice in 1986.

I suppose the class of 1985 had it worse. They didn’t even get Holtz to give them hope as they prepared for commencement.

The class of 1963 (the year I was born) also has “bragging” rights. Four years of Joe Kuharich; zero winning seasons. Basketball was mediocre too. The class of 1964 had it worse in terms of W-L record, but at least Ara came to campus just before Christmas.

My brother's roommate wore his fencing title ring with pride
by btd  (2019-06-10 13:51:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for exactly the reasons you list. They were class of 1986 (my brother posthumously - killed in a car accident 1984). Too bad fencing wasn't / isn't a spectator sport. They probably could have filled the hockey stadium at times during those down periods where it was the only elite sport we had.

Seriously, 01 wins this pity party every time. *
by DBCooper  (2019-06-05 22:04:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Class of 1986 closed out four years of pathetic football
by domer86  (2019-06-09 08:55:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

losing 58-7 in the Orange Bowl to Jimmy Johnson. Our BEST season in four years was 7-5.

Class of 2001 lost in the Fiesta Bowl in their last game.

We claim the worst of a generation.

How special that we can debate which class sucked most
by btd  (2019-06-10 14:03:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since Holtz left - and that people can offer strong arguments for more than one four year period.