tip of the iceberg, from what I understand
by jt (2019-06-09 15:18:53)

In reply to: way off the front page  posted by olson

goes back a few years before then as well.

way, way off the front page *
by olson  (2019-06-09 18:10:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Despite that, ND could've done as well as 7-2 in 1963
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-06-11 13:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They went 2-7, but 4 of those losses were by single-digits to pretty good opponents -- Wisconsin (5-4), Purdue (5-4), MSU (6-2-1), and Syracuse (8-2). If I recall correctly, ND lead at some point in each of those games. ND did lose badly to its two best opponents -- Navy (9-2) and Pitt (9-1), and in the season's biggest flop, lost by 10 at Stanford (3-7) -- a game ND led at halftime, 14-10. But they upset Southern Cal (7-3) and easily beat UCLA (2-8, with one of the wins coming at Stanford).

It's interesting to ponder how well ND could have fared in 1963 if Ara had come one year earlier than he did.

Even without Ara they might have gone 7-2 ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-06-12 11:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Devore literally had a bunch of guys playing exactly the wrong positions. I would add that the game which was cancelled because of the Kennedy assassination would have been against a 3-3-2 Iowa team, so 8-2 would not have been implausible.

so many guys flunked out of ND at that time
by jt  (2019-06-09 20:25:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Joe was bringing guys in that were absolutely not fits for the school, from all parts of the country. My dad would tell me that a bunch of guys showed up to the first day of class, listened to some of the expectations the prof had about papers, assignments, and what not, and just left campus that day and went home. I remember him telling the story about a kid from Ohio who was just the big lug of a guy and who had a really bad stutter and the prof was talking about how they were expected to do a paper every week and from the back of the class everyone heard this big dude stutter out...."hu-hu-hu-hu-horseshit!"

Dude was gone by the end of the week.

You need to write a book
by PattyMulligan  (2019-06-09 19:36:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always enjoy your ND history lessons.

The Nick Eddy story according to Dillon lore was that
by NH74Domer  (2019-06-09 19:05:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

having no change for food sales, he took the vending machine, dropped it down the elevator shaft and collected the proceeds.