As I look ahead to 2020 and 2021, I have a few dates circled
by BeijingIrish (2019-07-09 13:32:17)

In reply to: I won’t watch the tomato can Swarbrick specials  posted by ACross

In 2020, Wisconsin at Lambeau and Stanford as long as it's not a night game. In 2021, Wisconsin in Chicago and USC, again if it's not a night game. I won't attend any games this year.

I will not pay money to watch a game against an ACC opponent. And, I will no longer attend night games down there because it ruins the entire day (no nice dinner in Chicago after the game, etc.). It's quite possible that I will never attend another game in my life. I'm hopeful--I don't know why I should be--that the next AD will shitcan the ACC deal and go back to a traditional Notre Dame schedule.

When is it that we play OSU? I might try to go to those games if we're competitive. I might go down to the Texas A&M game whenever that is.

The ACC is truly a shitastic football conference
by ACross  (2019-07-09 13:59:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like some of the Universities as institutions. I like UVa, for instance.

But we are a fish out of water in the conference. That will never change. And the games will never be interesting.

Do you think next AD tries to get into B10 Conference?
by Frank Drebin  (2019-07-09 19:53:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With travel schedule and costs cited as reasons B10 is a better fit.

Subject matter as horrid as verb tense! *
by Irish Tool  (2019-07-10 10:07:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

its all politics man *
by 84david  (2019-07-10 08:35:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hope not
by BIG MAC  (2019-07-09 21:15:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am a never Big-10we.

I suspect this was a case of the tail wagging the dog
by njdoubledomer  (2019-07-09 16:02:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Football wasn't the driver. JS needed a conference home for everyone but football. The ACC acceded to the independence request with that huge 5-game kicker that mucks up our schedule. The puzzling thing to me is how hockey found a home by itself.

Most P5 conferences don't have hockey
by El Kabong  (2019-07-09 16:35:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ACC doesn't, so that's probably why ND isn't in there.

Lax wasn't in the ACC until it decided to put together a league.

The inescapable point is that the ACC is a horrific option
by ACross  (2019-07-09 17:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for football.

The debate about whether it was worth it to prop up our other sports is a separate one.

It's not as good as other options
by El Kabong  (2019-07-09 18:05:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For example, the SEC.

It's better than some other options, such as the B1G (an opinion on which I know we disagree).

The P12 and the BXII probably are pushes.

The ACC is by far worse than any you mention *
by ACross  (2019-07-09 18:21:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let me ask you this...
by irisharab  (2019-07-09 19:40:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You say that "the ACC is a horrific option for football."

Let's say that a reasonable argument can be made the the ACC is among the better Power 5 conference options for basketball, soccer, etc.

In your opinion, should the needs of those other sports be taken into consideration when choosing a conference partner, or should the best interests of the football program be paramount, given its history at ND and the revenue that it brings to the school?

I think football should be the driver *
by ACross  (2019-07-09 19:57:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and at UNC/Duke/Georgetown
by jt  (2019-07-09 21:02:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they let their main sport be their driver.

you just don't appreciate the genius
by jt  (2019-07-09 14:29:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that it takes to get us in that conference, saving our independence (by committing to playing the same teams from the same conference all the time), and by keeping our Olympic sports powerful.

Clearly it takes a man of vision and high intelligence to get us where we need to be! The best AD in all of ND history.

Which Olympic sports would be worse off
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-07-09 15:32:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the big east than they are after however many years we’ve been in the ACC?

I know your post was in jest, by the way.

A lot of them, IMO
by El Kabong  (2019-07-09 16:34:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both basketball teams would be. FS1 is a shitty distribution medium, and as much as ND fans (including me) hanker for games vs Marquette and Nova and GTown, UNC and Duke et al carry more weight with recruits, not to mention more $$.

Baseball and softball definitely would be worse off.

I believe the soccer programs would be.

I can't speak to the other Olympic sports that are in the ACC.

baseball has been mediocre the past 15 years or so
by jt  (2019-07-09 21:01:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not sure how much worse off they would possibly be.

Mediocre? That's a generous curve. *
by CJC  (2019-07-09 21:42:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

well, the coach they just let go was a .495 coach
by jt  (2019-07-09 22:49:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and .500 is the basic definition of mediocre.

I suppose I was being a bit generous.