I suspect this was a case of the tail wagging the dog
by njdoubledomer (2019-07-09 16:02:55)

In reply to: The ACC is truly a shitastic football conference  posted by ACross

Football wasn't the driver. JS needed a conference home for everyone but football. The ACC acceded to the independence request with that huge 5-game kicker that mucks up our schedule. The puzzling thing to me is how hockey found a home by itself.

Most P5 conferences don't have hockey
by El Kabong  (2019-07-09 16:35:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ACC doesn't, so that's probably why ND isn't in there.

Lax wasn't in the ACC until it decided to put together a league.

The inescapable point is that the ACC is a horrific option
by ACross  (2019-07-09 17:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for football.

The debate about whether it was worth it to prop up our other sports is a separate one.

It's not as good as other options
by El Kabong  (2019-07-09 18:05:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For example, the SEC.

It's better than some other options, such as the B1G (an opinion on which I know we disagree).

The P12 and the BXII probably are pushes.

The ACC is by far worse than any you mention *
by ACross  (2019-07-09 18:21:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let me ask you this...
by irisharab  (2019-07-09 19:40:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You say that "the ACC is a horrific option for football."

Let's say that a reasonable argument can be made the the ACC is among the better Power 5 conference options for basketball, soccer, etc.

In your opinion, should the needs of those other sports be taken into consideration when choosing a conference partner, or should the best interests of the football program be paramount, given its history at ND and the revenue that it brings to the school?

I think football should be the driver *
by ACross  (2019-07-09 19:57:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and at UNC/Duke/Georgetown
by jt  (2019-07-09 21:02:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they let their main sport be their driver.