Am I being overly pessimistic or was it really that close?
by wiNDycityfan (2019-09-22 14:14:00)
Edited on 2019-09-22 14:14:38

In my mind, this game was more indicative of Georgia’s methodical, conservative approach than anything we may have done. Yes, the defense (mainly LBs) played well above my expectations, but that was our sole bright spot - other than punting.

To me, Georgia stuck to their gameplan no matter what (sticking to running the ball despite how open their receivers were) while we looked like a high school offense at times - unimaginative, poorly called and full of mistakes. About the only options that worked for us were drag routes, and Book really needs to work on going through his progressions and not staring down his receivers. It was like watching the Chicago Bears offense under Mitchell Trubisky - just painful.

All in all, I feel as though Georgia could’ve torched us, repeatedly, and even put the knife well before (kicking the FG instead of going for it while up 20-10), but somehow chose not to. That WE had the chance to win this game was laughable, and in turn, we waste precious time and opportunities with the worst final drive decisions I’ve seen.

In closing, I’m glad we could at least stay in the game and enjoy it until the end, but it was more as a result of Georgia being conservative than us going toe to toe with them.

As far as Athens and atmosphere is concerned, it was everything I could’ve hoped for.

Replies: