Close, technically; but practically, maybe not (edited)...
by Kbyrnes (2019-09-22 15:28:37)
Edited on 2019-09-22 17:13:48

In reply to: Am I being overly pessimistic or was it really that close?  posted by wiNDycityfan

...Having the ball in decent starting position with 2:00 left to win the game would constitute being close by just about anyone's definition.

My own feeling at the time was that we'd need to be lucky to win in that circumstance; Book, for all of his basic talent, had not exhibited the kind of mental approach that would flourish in a pressure-packed 2:00 situation, where the QB would need to face up to great defensive rushes, step up in the pocket, and have the quick-witted presence of mind to find the best option. If we'd had the 1977 or 1978 Joe Montana back there, I would have estimated a 70%+ likelihood of winning. As it was, I was guessing about 1 chance in 3; therefore, not really as close as the bare description in my first paragraph might suggest.

I wonder if Book has been overly subjected to instructions to not throw interceptions and to not get sacked--his responses seem highly conditioned.

I think I have to disagree with your characterization of Georgia's choice--it is almost inconceivable that they would intentionally avoid the path that would most assure victory. If they could have repeatedly torched us and put the knife in, if they saw such opportunities, that would have made the margin greater at the end than it actually was. I believe they were playing for the best way to win. Now, it's quite possible that they perceived what course of play gave them the best chance of victory.

EDIT: My confidence at the 2:00 mark also took into account the entire offensive performance up to that point--the playcalling, the execution, etc.

Replies: