I thought their pregame thing
by KeoughCharles05 (2019-09-22 20:23:17)

In reply to: Atmosphere in the stadium.  posted by Domer84

With an appropriated version of the Battle Hymn of the Republic where they all praise their Georgian forebears and pledge loyalty to the university of Georgia, as the most enviable institution deserving of loyalty ever was some creepy ass confederate bullshit.

To get a real good sense of it, try the laser light show at
by irishintheville  (2019-09-23 09:29:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stone Mountain, GA park. Davis, Lee and Jackson riding their horses carved into the side of an 800 foot granite bluff with the battle hymn of the republic blaring as the encore. Redneck heaven.

Agreed. Multiple songs after the national anthem felt odd *
by doug dascenzo  (2019-09-23 00:03:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Gory, gory what a hell of a way to die"...
by TonyBullets  (2019-09-22 23:19:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That song has been appropriated by everyone and their brother - I thought the solo trumpet angle was pretty cool. Maybe I'm biased as I played trumpet growing up.

It's one thing to adapt the song
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-09-23 13:06:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from the union army to a branch of the US military fighting Hitler.

It's quite another to appropriate it from the song the Union used to rally the north and the troops in the cause against slavery to be used to pay homage to Georgia's prior soldiers and promote loyalty to Georgia above all else.

Agreed
by Brandon  (2019-09-22 23:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our group all looked at each other like WTF was that?

That was weird. *
by Domer84  (2019-09-22 22:08:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post