If ND only got as much from its talent as WI does its
by tricio (2019-09-23 01:17:07)

I noticed a rather dismissive comment about WI on the next page. I think it should be noted that WI has had a fair amount of success against tOSU, MI, PSU, and MSU in recent years, as well as upsetting LSU a few years ago. And, Iowa usually is not a walk in the park.

Admittedly, the B10 has its share of weak teams, and opponents selected from outside the conference usually are not a threat to the better teams. But, in recent years, the same has been true of the ACC, PAC12, and Big12. The SEC is similar to the B10, typically having 5-6 quality teams. However, only T&M and Auburn recently have scheduled opponents from other Power 5 conferences.

ND’s schedules during Kelly’s tenure have hardly been daunting either. Last year’s 12-0 record was aided greatly by a list of opponents that turned out to be unexpectedly weak – MI, SC, and Stanford and VaTech historically so. Still, the Irish managed to make several games far more difficult than necessary. It was enough to get into the playoffs, but not a remotely happy ending. At the moment, it appears the sole opponent of note for this year will be GA.

So, I don’t think Wisconsin’s schedule is less challenging than ND’s. Some years theirs is, some years ND’s is. And, I am not at all certain that ND would perform consistently well if it were a member of the B10. Even if ND were in the weaker West Division, it would have to play WI, IA, NW, and NE every year along with the possibly of playing tOSU, MI, MSU, and PSU also. An SEC type of schedule, one that would include out of conference opponents like BG, NMU, NV, Ball State, etc.

What distinguishes WI is the quality of its coaching staff and how well they recruit and develop underappreciated players. As noted elsewhere, it has no 5* recruits and few 4*s. Most of their recruits were rated 3* coming out of high school, with a number not even rated. Relative to ND’s recruiting classes, supposedly much less potential talent. Yet, they consistently are a pain in the ass for the major powers in the B10, frequently derailing someone else’s bowl fantasies. Its approach strikes me as similar to that of the NE Patriots - a system for which they have a clear idea of the types of players that will maximize outcomes. Not a lot of all-stars, just players who will work hard and are able to execute well-crafted game plans.

It is unclear how well larger numbers of 4* and 5* recruits would fit Wisconsin's system. Unfortunately, the answer to that question for the one of Kelly et. al. is painfully obvious.

Replies: