Tony Jones is eligible for a 5th year *
by Ajax (2019-10-18 00:09:43)

In reply to: 2020 team  posted by SEE

This user did not provide content for this post

Interesting. Tx *
by SEE  (2019-10-18 08:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I really think Jones will be back.
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-18 07:59:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kmet is going to end up a 1st rounder. His brother being on the baseball team is the only chance of him coming back.

Kmet could also return.
by smithwick  (2019-10-18 07:44:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’d be a very high draft pick if he left, but he appears committed to playing baseball this spring with his brother which may cause him to delay his pro aspirations for another year.

Is Kmet a pro-caliber pitcher? *
by Tex Francisco  (2019-10-18 10:35:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He could play baseball at ND in the Spring..
by TWO  (2019-10-18 10:05:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and still go to the NFL. So while I'm glad he's staying to play baseball I don't take that as an indicator that he'll be with the football team in 2020.

The NFL draft will be late April, and it's unlikely that the Irish make the NCAA tournament in baseball. He'll be available for any team that drafts him right after the season ends.

This is unlikely...
by BigNDfan  (2019-10-18 11:36:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most players pursuing the NFL don't even attend classes at ND in the spring while they prepare for the draft.

The entire focus is improving your numbers for the combine which can impact how you're ultimately paid.

I can't imagine playing baseball would be a good idea.

It would definitely be rolling the dice..
by TWO  (2019-10-18 12:59:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To go play baseball and make yourself available for the draft.

But even if he didn't take the what has become the standard route for those going to the draft, a team certainly could look at his body of work on the field and make a determination of his worth and draft him.

I do agree that in today's world that could cause him to drop in the draft and cost him some money.

Pre-draft prep is a full-time job.
by irishaddict  (2019-10-18 10:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's pretty unheard of in this day and age for a guy to play a spring sport and prep for the draft.

Yes, if Kmet plays baseball, he'll play football in 2020.
by irishdemon  (2019-10-18 12:38:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he's going to enter the draft, he'll have to go to the combine and spend the spring traveling the country for pre-draft interviews and workouts.

Not to mention his own personal focus and workout regiment will have to be 100% football.

He may be the most complete TE we've had
by BmoreIrish  (2019-10-18 08:47:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the last 20 years, and that's really saying something. Eifert was probably a better pass catcher, Rudolph was probably a tougher cover, Niklas a more devastating blocker, but Kmet's combo of size, hands, speed and blocking ability is very rare. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the leap.

eifort was like a WR at tight end
by vivaflanner  (2019-10-20 00:18:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like Kmet's game a lot, but Eifert was considerably more of a threat as a receiver.

Kmet needs work on his strength and blocking
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-10-18 14:30:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to be a more complete TE.

The collarbone injury no doubt set him back in terms of strength.
He also lacks strength in his lower base. That has been apparent to me in the games thus far. He could do a much better job of breaking tackles once he builds some more strength.
His blocking is inconsistent. Should be much better...and will be in due time.

Even with some of those shortcomings that scouts might ding him for--he will likely be a 1st round pick if he opts to come out.

He’s been excellent. Maybe an eyelash below Rudolph. *
by IrishGeek  (2019-10-18 10:49:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Logically, he should go. But like Zach Martin
by smithwick  (2019-10-18 10:05:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who stayed his senior year to play with his brother, Kmet appears to want to play a year with his brother on the baseball team. I don't believe he'd be able to be drafted and then finish out the season playing baseball, but I could be wrong.

Agree though that he's the most well-rounded of the bunch.

No he can be drafted and continue to play baseball.
by TWO  (2019-10-18 13:03:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just couldn't play football.

There are players, like Jeff Samardzija, who signed Pro Baseball contracts and returned to play college football.

Pat Cannaughton also signed a baseball contract
by trout  (2019-10-19 06:36:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got a $400 k signing bonus from the Orioles, after which, he still played college basketball