I don't know, man. BK often gets props from the media, for
by ndzippy (2019-12-05 10:48:21)

In reply to: I think it's more perception of Kelly  posted by ThreeD

reasons I don't understand.

The linked article (from CBS Sports) was written in May and listed BK as the 7th-best P5 coach in college football.

Athlon rated him #11 overall in June: https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-head-coaches-2019

The Sporting News ranked him #7 overall, also in June: https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-head-coaches-2019

It's articles like these that give the enabler segment of the ND fan base what it needs to support its "who could we get that's better?!?" BS.

The rationale is confusing; but different purposes
by ThreeD  (2019-12-05 12:26:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like you, I don't understand the rationale for propping him up, such as in articles like you cite. There are probably a couple of things happening there, but both are beyond what I was really meaning.

My post was more directed at the perception of the ND team led by Kelly vis a vis its ranking among top teams rather than than Kelly's ranking among coaching peers.

I looked at the Athlon list
by NDAtty  (2019-12-05 11:07:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doesn't seem crazy. The reality is that the top has been dominated by a few coaches - Saban, Meyer, Dabo. Chryst seems awfully low, but I see that have Dantonio above Kelly and I assume that would change now.

The lists may not give a enough weight to the advantages of coaching at one of the top football schools and therefore give too much credit for a coach simply being at a football school.

In any event, as I have said here in the past, BK's specific level doesn't matter to me. Is he average, above average, good, very good? 5-15, 10-20, 15-25? I don't really care.

There is only one question on the results side of things - has he or can you reasonably expect that he will win an NC? That's it. No need to parse any farther.