Best comparison was 4-8 Oregon who fired 2014 NC finalist
by Domerduck (2019-12-06 14:41:17)
Edited on 2019-12-06 14:47:21

In reply to: We could be ready to fire Kelly's successor by now.  posted by Otter

Mark Helfrich in 2016, a coach who had even produced a Heisman Trophy winner. The Ducks are on to the second coach since then. Still Mario Cristobal is 10-2 in his second year (like Kelly is currently), playing in the PAC12 championship game tonite and likely in the Rose Bowl this year, win or lose (if Utah makes the playoffs). Last year, his first at Oregon, he won his bowl game against Michigan State and had the #6 recruiting class in the nation, well ahead of Kelly's #14. 2020 the two are recruiting on par (#13 & 14 per ESPN), but Mario still has the top recruiting class in the PAC12. He's done a great job, but we will see how he does when he loses Herbert next year, as Helfrich fell off with the loss of Mariotta.

Frankly, as an alumnus of both schools, I felt back in 2016 Kelly was more deserving to be fired than Helfrich, who was at least a nice guy. Still I wanted them both fired and since Oregon did it and ND didn't it, I converted all my university donations away from ND (and I was Sorin Gold) to Oregon and other schools and can't wait until Kelly (or Swarbrick) is gone so I can get back at supporting my school financially.

One thing I can truly say I am far more upbeat about Duck football and University of Oregon athletics across the board than I am about ND. I am truly glad the Oregon AD had the guts to do the right thing and we are so better off because of it.

Replies: