My favorite Lou quote
by JC_90_94 (2020-07-01 19:49:07)

In reply to: RIP Beth Holtz *  posted by SB Jimbo

"The most important thing a father can do is to make sure how much his children know that he loves their mother."

No doubt Lou Holtz lived this.

May she rest in peace.

Two of Lou's Stories about Beth
by zaggie  (2020-07-02 11:40:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou had lost an early assistant coaching job and decided to make a bucket list including meeting the Pope and winning a national championship. He proudly showed the list to Beth who said you forgot one. Get a job.

Beth was telling Lou about his shortcomings as a husband. Lou replied that if he was a better husband he could have got a better wife.

It's actually from Hesburgh.
by Jurassic  (2020-07-02 09:09:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother."

Hung it on the wall in the delivery room for all my children.

I heard Bishop Sheen say that on TV in the early fifties. *
by LeahyGold  (2020-07-05 09:35:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought it was originally Sheen
by ndtnguy  (2020-07-06 10:22:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I couldn't confirm that on the internet in the 2 minutes I was willing to devote to looking.

Thank you. . .
by JC_90_94  (2020-07-02 20:45:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never knew that Fr. Hesburgh was the source of the quote. Lou delivered the line at his speech at my 20 year reunion as he closed out his talk and it always stuck with me.

I agree.
by mkovac  (2020-07-02 00:48:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was hoping this is the quote you would post.

Seeing that this is what you mentioned makes me feel like I just opened the gift I wanted for Christmas.

Merry Christmas Mike *
by JC_90_94  (2020-07-02 19:10:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Et cum spiritu tuo *
by mkovac  (2020-07-03 16:36:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he also said another fine comment about mothers
by irishrock  (2020-07-01 20:51:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A man's most prized possession is his mother.