Power 5 conferences exploring a break from NCAA (link)
by jt (2020-08-01 21:00:32)

I’m sure savvy would like this for another reason.
by 84david  (2020-08-03 08:13:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NCAA vacated wins for ND. If ND is not a member of the NCAA
we could restore them,theoretically, because we would not be an NCAA member
and they’d have no jurisdiction over us.

Poof! All time win percentage restored.

It's a bad look to schedule`
by TWO  (2020-08-02 17:27:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

football, bowl games, College Football Playoff and then tell Volleyball, Soccer and other fall sports you can't play or you can play but only locally and you get no championships.

you should see what the NCAA is trying to do with name,
by jt  (2020-08-02 18:42:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

image and likeness rules, and they're basically asking Congress to give them anti-trust status.

The NCAA is a joke. At this point the best thing is to burn it all down and change the people in charge who've been riding the gravy train.

I agree that NIL is the principal issue here, but I still
by tf86  (2020-08-04 17:07:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Think the idea raises more questions than answers, at least to its practical approach.

1. Will the Power 5 be content to play amongst themselves, or will they want other opponents?

I suggest that based on history, the answer is more likely to be the latter. In that case, they will need to bring other institutions along. My best guess in that case would be that they also take the American and possibly the Mountain West for some geographic balance.

2. What happens with various other programs?

Navy and Hawaii are football-only members of the American and Mountain West, respectively. Do they break away with those conferences? And if so, what happens to their conference affiliations for other sports? As to other independents, BYU seems a natural fit if you're taking the American and Mountain West as well. What about Army? Remember, in this scenario, the other service academies -- Air Force and Navy -- would be splitting along with the Power 5.

3. What about the Big East?

True, the Big East doesn't play football, so not a concern there. However, the men's basketball tournament is the crown jewel among NCAA-sponsored events, and Villanova won that tournament in two of the last four years that it was played. Without the Big East, the NCAA may have at least an arguable claim that its men's basketball champion is on par with the champion produced by the Power 5.

Could you elaborate on your objections?
by TripleDomer  (2020-08-04 09:17:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems like the NCAA is agreeing to permit individual NIL licensing under three conditions: (1) no institutional involvement; (2) no use of institutional IP; and (3) market value-capped compensation (https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/ncaa/wrkgrps/fslwg/Apr2020FSLWG_Report.pdf). That seems reasonable to me. Ian Book could be paid to appear in a Basney Honda or Gurley Leep Kia commercial, but he couldn't be paid more than a market rate and couldn't wear his jersey. Likewise, Prentiss Hubb could become an influencer on the social media platform du jour, but he wouldn't have access to ND-produced video.

It appears that the NCAA doesn't think a framework currently exists to permit group licensing (e.g., for use in video games). That isn't surprising to me either.

The “no institutional involvement” prong, which I know has
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-04 14:23:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

been published and so I’m not alleging you recited the plan incorrectly, is a laugher.

How much a school helps players get N.I.L. cash will become a key criterion in the recruiting process.

Once players can get money, there will be no way to stop the floodgates. And, as I’ve stated before, it will not be good for the locker room. Will linemen kill themselves every play to protect a QB who’s got 6 figures in N.I.L. money and they’ve only got a few grand apiece? If collegiate athletics are going to be about money, they are going to be about money.

I’d advocate for a set stipend per player that is taken out of a gross sponsorship budget of some kind.

No institutional involvement is necessary for at least one
by tf86  (2020-08-04 16:58:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Huge reason: Title IX.

If there is institutional involvement, NIL becomes a Title IX issue, plain and simple. And the women's sports simply won't command anywhere near the money that football and even men's basketball will.

I will answer your question for you
by jt  (2020-08-04 14:30:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(which I find to be completely ridiculous and an insult to anyone who has ever competed)

Will OL help a qb who has NIL money?

Yes.

1NDGal, I am going to go easy on you here and just say that I don't think that you thought that one out. That is a very, very, very poor question for a variety of reasons. Just very poor.

It’s not 1988 anymore, and don’t patronize me. I chose my
by 1NDGal  (2020-08-04 14:46:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

words for a reason and you re-wrote them. I also know that it only takes a few bad apples to create a bad situation.

The “haves and have-nots” environment that unfettered N.I.L. will create must be acknowledged.

your thought was complete bull
by jt  (2020-08-04 15:01:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you chose your words carefully and gave them some thought, I can only assume that you have no idea what you're talking about.

When it's time to compete, it's time to compete. There is a hell of a lot more at stake than someone's endorsements, for God's sake.

Oh no.....
by jerryd  (2020-08-04 21:59:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

JT, I think we have a Karen on NDNation.

Oh wow, the NCAA release says that it's all above board!
by jt  (2020-08-04 10:07:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing to see here!

In all seriousness, I am on my phone and unable to look up the link, but SI has a pretty good rundown of what they're proposing and the issues that many lawmakers have with it.

NCAA.org might not be the best resource.

There needs to be some regulation for sure.
by 84david  (2020-08-04 09:51:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Otherwise we’ll have Zion getting a million bucks
from coach K’s slush fund to sponsor lil’ Jimmy Kryzewski’s
lemonade stand, and other seedy practices.

the top 40 teams or so should split off
by jt  (2020-08-04 14:03:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the remaining teams, these ideas of no-show jobs, etc. are not realistic. It would likely be very, very easy to govern. And truthfully, who cares if someone wants to pay the local halfback a little extra money to sign some autographs or something? As long as it isn't the school, I don't see why anyone should care.

The top 40 teams are basically a true minor league for the NFL and need to have a similar setup, complete with some type of collective bargaining for the kids, rules regarding extra pay and benefits, etc. The NCAA is no help there.

All that money should be swept into trust account
by ACross  (2020-08-03 11:51:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the benefit of players. A school cannot use money off of a kid's likeness. It offends notions of fairness. It is exploitative.

All of what money? Jersey sales? Broadcast fees?
by TripleDomer  (2020-08-04 09:28:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, it is wrong for Alabama to profit solely from the sale of a t-shirt with Tua's face on it (and without his consent). Do you believe the same regarding Alabama not sharing its cut of SEC broadcast fees generated from the airing of games in which Tua plays?

Likeness money *
by ACross  (2020-08-04 10:07:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How is that defined (sincere question)?
by NDFanSince81  (2020-08-04 12:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does this include jerseys with the player number? What share of revenue from video games? Banners and posters? What if a photo is appears on a ticket?

I just don't see how you find a dividing line between what is and isn't revenue associated with a player's likeness.

I think the number is a close question
by ACross  (2020-08-04 12:27:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The star players should probably share in that. But when a video game is designed for the guy's face and pigmentation to look exactly like somebody, it is not a close call.

I agree completely. *
by Wooderson  (2020-08-03 20:49:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pac 12 players just asked for 50% of all revenue to be given
by jimmypop  (2020-08-03 20:05:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the athletes. They have more demands and may boycott playing.

A ton of that revenue already benefits them
by JBrock18  (2020-08-04 13:29:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ridiculous locker rooms with video games and waterfalls, and world class training, practicing, and playing facilities to name a few. If PAC12 football players get 50% of the revenue there will be none left for other sports.

And the other half to participants in women’s sports. *
by 84david  (2020-08-04 09:47:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is not reasonable
by ACross  (2020-08-03 21:21:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think revenue generated by likeness is its own animal.

of course this is how a reasonable person would see it
by jt  (2020-08-03 12:35:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

now, that's not how the Gene Smith's, Jack Swarbrick's, et al. of the world see it.

When you say "the NCAA"
by Catdog2  (2020-08-03 10:26:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who do you mean?

The NCAA is literally made up of constituent schools. It's not like the big bad NCAA is pocketing the money itself. Yes, the NCAA is ass backwards. But it's because THE SCHOOLS THEMSELVES are ass backwards.

I'm glad someone besides me made that point for a change.
by cujays96  (2020-08-03 13:19:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's like blaming Rob Manfred for stupid shit in MLB. Yes, Manfred is a dope but the owners give him license to be a dope.

it's a distinction without a difference
by jt  (2020-08-03 14:44:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I think that most people understand that it is the schools themselves that are running the con game.

You would be surprised. *
by cujays96  (2020-08-04 19:54:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

blow it all up *
by jt  (2020-08-03 12:35:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anti-trust status? It's getting to be time to tell the man
by SWPaDem  (2020-08-02 18:52:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what he can do with his big ideas to control everything he can. Maybe tell him his ideas belong where his personal sun don't shine!!!

Besides, I don't trust Mark Emmert.