Good for Phil. I hope he continues to be vocal about it.
by bleedsgreen04 (2020-09-16 12:47:23)
Edited on 2020-09-16 16:40:10

In reply to: In-depth article on Phil Jurkovec in P'burgh Post-Gazette  posted by SWPaDem

It's mind-numbingly stupid for Kelly to have hired Rees as a QB coach, rather than getting someone with legitimate QB coaching bona fides in at ND. After promoting Rees to OC, why the hell didn't he bring in a legitimate QB coach at that point?

At least Jurkovec was quick enough to realize his ceiling at ND was going to be a 2nd round draft pick that quickly fizzled out in the NFL. I'm not sure he's a lot better off at BC, but his ceiling is almost certainly higher; it's been well established at this point that QB's never get better at ND under Kelly.

Not playing and not getting better (or getting worse)
by NDAtty  (2020-09-16 13:01:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had to leave. That's not quitting when it gets hard. That being sensible.
I wish things would have worked out better at ND, but best of luck to him.

Obviously, his comments don't say much for ND's coaching.

The unfortunate one is Rees
by ACross  (2020-09-16 12:58:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is on the fast track to selling Herbalife products in about 3 years.

I can see it now:
by bleedsgreen04  (2020-09-16 16:48:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All the "talking heads" and other armchair experts out there will laud Rees for his OC acumen, citing how ND's points per game have gone up in such a short time (never mind the horrendous drop in quality on the schedule, how those numbers were high against the bad teams, terrible against elite teams, etc.), he's the next big phenom, rinse, repeat.

Some lazy MAC athletic director (let's say Bowling Green) signs him on as a head coach in 2022, and then he's gone from there after 3 years of floundering because he's learned bubkes in his time under Kelly. We'll call it the Diaco route. Or maybe the Sanford route. Or that OC whose name I can't even remember anymore because we've now had Kelly for more than a decade... ugh.

Notre Dame, where quarterbacks go to die.
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-16 12:56:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It took a lot of guts for Phil to leave, given his fondness for Notre Dame. Give him credit for seeing the handwriting on the wall when there was still time to do something about it.

And we're left with Five More Years.