What would Quinn's numbers look like on Book's teams?
by captaineclectic (2021-01-02 13:47:11)

In reply to: For all of Book's ND records,  posted by R2D2isAMeanDrunk

Pretty gaudy, one imagines.

Only Book and Rees have excelled at QB under Kelly. More
by 1978Irish  (2021-01-02 14:03:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

talented QBs flame out. I suppose Kizer had 2 good years, although he clearly regressed in year 2 and we had a terrible record.

It will be interesting to see if a more talented QB can do well with Rees as OC.

Clausen/Quinn: BK would have ruined them both
by irishrock  (2021-01-02 13:52:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No way...there is no way in hell that Kelly could have recruited/signed/coached Clausen. No way in hell. Kelly would likely have not had enough confidence to ring the doorbell at the Clausen household.

Quinn...what a battler. But Weis really coached him up because Weis knew what he was doing. Kelly does not.

This is effectively saying
by captaineclectic  (2021-01-02 13:59:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Book is a better QB than others because he succeeded despite having Kelly as his coach.

While appealing on some levels, I have a hard time adopting the position that he was the best QB we’ve had over some stretch of time on the hypothetical basis of his mental toughness in the face of Kelly’s buffoonery.

you're reaching
by irishrock  (2021-01-02 14:11:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Quinn and Clausen's opponents were far superior to what Book faced. I just don't put much credence into Book's 30-5 record as the wins were against weaker teams. I've posted before, Quinn and Clausen faced outstanding USC teams...Kelly has been fortunate that SC has had a down decade and Book benefitted from that as well.

edited to add: I think Weis system was made for very good and talented QB's. I don't think Kelly's system would have been great for Quinn or Clausen but I'm really confident that Book wouldn't have been recruited by Weis, much less a three year starter for him. I just don't think the Weis system was built for a 3* type of QB...he wouldn't have much success with a less talented QB.

We must be talking past each other
by captaineclectic  (2021-01-02 14:19:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My position is that Quinn and Clausen were better than Book (a position evidently shared by NFL scouts). I don’t know about Clausen but I think Quinn would have done even better than Book in Kelly’s system the last few years. He would have feasted on weak competition, had superior ability to sell play-action, and he had a greater ability to stretch the field. He was also athletic enough to make plays with his legs.

Kelly deserves credit for getting a lot out of Book (as he does for Rees) and I think you’re correct that Weis would not have been able to do as well.

my bad
by irishrock  (2021-01-02 14:23:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no doubt Quinn is better, was better, hell might still be better today than Book. I see your point on Quinn.

completely agree on that matter. Hell man, I'm in purgatory with Kelly (so maybe I'm not thinking straight). He just runs a program...he recruits big guys for TE and OL...ND has always done that (except Willingham) but he doesn't coach. He doesn't gameplan worth a crap. His offense has always been junk and was junk last night (again)

What I've not seen a lot of talk about is how ND receivers are just okay under Kelly and then do pretty well in the NFL...Claypool is the latest exhibit.