you're reaching
by irishrock (2021-01-02 14:11:14)
Edited on 2021-01-02 14:13:46

In reply to: This is effectively saying  posted by captaineclectic

Quinn and Clausen's opponents were far superior to what Book faced. I just don't put much credence into Book's 30-5 record as the wins were against weaker teams. I've posted before, Quinn and Clausen faced outstanding USC teams...Kelly has been fortunate that SC has had a down decade and Book benefitted from that as well.

edited to add: I think Weis system was made for very good and talented QB's. I don't think Kelly's system would have been great for Quinn or Clausen but I'm really confident that Book wouldn't have been recruited by Weis, much less a three year starter for him. I just don't think the Weis system was built for a 3* type of QB...he wouldn't have much success with a less talented QB.

We must be talking past each other
by captaineclectic  (2021-01-02 14:19:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My position is that Quinn and Clausen were better than Book (a position evidently shared by NFL scouts). I don’t know about Clausen but I think Quinn would have done even better than Book in Kelly’s system the last few years. He would have feasted on weak competition, had superior ability to sell play-action, and he had a greater ability to stretch the field. He was also athletic enough to make plays with his legs.

Kelly deserves credit for getting a lot out of Book (as he does for Rees) and I think you’re correct that Weis would not have been able to do as well.

my bad
by irishrock  (2021-01-02 14:23:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no doubt Quinn is better, was better, hell might still be better today than Book. I see your point on Quinn.

completely agree on that matter. Hell man, I'm in purgatory with Kelly (so maybe I'm not thinking straight). He just runs a program...he recruits big guys for TE and OL...ND has always done that (except Willingham) but he doesn't coach. He doesn't gameplan worth a crap. His offense has always been junk and was junk last night (again)

What I've not seen a lot of talk about is how ND receivers are just okay under Kelly and then do pretty well in the NFL...Claypool is the latest exhibit.