Except that we have never had mRNA vaccines before.
by pjnuge (2021-04-12 07:55:36)

In reply to: If I were cautious I'd go pfizer  posted by AquinasDomer

The technology used by Janssen and now Novavax has been around decades, even live attenuated vax is in common use for other diseases. If you were worried about rare side effects I would go Janssen ( JandJ). Or wait for the Novavax.

mRNA vaccines have been in development for years
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-04-12 11:58:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and years prior to these particular covid-19 vaccines. They also have very, very few ingredients relative to other vaccines (pretty much the only window for bad allergies or anaphylactic shock comes in the form of potential reaction to the lipids involved and those are exceedingly rare), so they're actually far safer in most regards.

The mRNA itself breaks down extremely quickly in the body and it's a very targeted approach in and of itself as well.

These mRNA vaccines are very safe and the testing has already and will continue to bear that out. The only rough part with these vaccines are how they really prime up your immune system to fight off an infection, and those side effects quickly subside.

There has never been a successfull mRNA vaccine before now.
by Pjnuge  (2021-04-12 21:38:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The RSV mRNA vaccine was a failure and never made it into mass production.I am not concerned with the safety profile of any of these vaccines but would be more concerned with a new process than one in use for decades.

The historic failed RSV vaccine wasn't mRNA
by AquinasDomer  (2021-04-13 01:28:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are some early MRNA TSV trials going on now. Also Novavax uses a nanoparticle delivery system we haven't used before. The adenovirus used in J&J has only been used with Ebola vaccine attempts... not exactly long lasting tech.

They're all safe, but the mRNA new = less safe isn't a great arguement.

Also - the volume of safety data is more than any in history
by btd  (2021-04-12 16:25:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There has never been a set of new vaccines administered this much this fast world wide before. In effect we are getting 5-10 years worth of adverse event data quarterly right now compared to a normal drug.

Yes, we don't have long term data -- longer than one year, since some in trials are about a year now. For every other possible reaction across any demographic of any kind we have more data collected than ever before for something new. A lot of drugs with far worse potential side effects - death -- often only are administered to millions of people per year. We are doing 3 million per day in the US alone right now.