ND Scholarship Athetes - Benefits guesstimate
by sdalenberg (2021-04-15 21:56:02)

Have always been curious the value of "benefits" a ND scholarship athlete receives ... room, board, medical, tutoring, etc.

Anyone have a good guesstimate?

Don't know about total, but they could probably sell...
by revressbo  (2021-04-18 11:11:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all the issue gear they receive for tens of thousands. I say that tongue-in-cheek, but they get quite a boatload. Source: myself, who had a roommate who was a football player.

they break it down on the letter of intent paperwork
by jt  (2021-04-17 11:13:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

probably between 100-125k per year.

Whatever benefit value, remember to gross-up for taxes
by fortune_smith  (2021-04-17 05:59:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People who pay do so with after-tax income, whether they’re paying in real-time or with proceeds from after-tax investments they made in 529 plans many years ago.

So paying, say, $80k for a given year actually requires $120-130k of pre-tax earnings before taxation at 30-something percent, depending on tax bracket.

The benefits received are a form of “net” compensation and have a pre-tax-equivalent.

you mean
by tpm81  (2021-04-17 14:05:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...a penny saved is actually 1.5 pennies earned?

Effectively, yes, maybe even more ....
by fortune_smith  (2021-04-17 15:18:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

depending on tax-bracket and the direction of tax policy in coming years .... and definitely a lot more for denizens of NY, CA and a few other high-tax states .... where it's more like a penny saved is AT LEAST two pennies earned.

And it also means that #NotNCAAProperty, which I am grateful that no ND athlete has donned to date, is "earning" at least 50% more than acknowledged, if the high value of the scholly is even acknowledged at all.

former Northwestern vp/athletics
by tmr779  (2021-04-16 14:13:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and current ACC commissioner Jim Phillips used to be quoted (generally speaking abt football, I think) stating a NU full athletic scholarship was worth $500,000 if the student athlete took a fifth year of eligibility. Do not remember any reporters balking at the number - it might be fair guess for ND too. I don't know if he was factoring in travel, meals, high-level training (weight and injury/injury prevention), etc

likely factoring in
by jt  (2021-04-17 14:19:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

strength and conditioning coach(es), academic support staff, nutritional staff, as well as tuition, books, room and board, meal expenses.

500k is probably on the low side for Northwestern and Notre Dame.

Just looking at tuition, room, board, and books
by pmoose  (2021-04-16 10:01:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're already at $73,000. Add in tutoring, medical, and whatever else, I'd spitball maybe another $10,000 to $20,000. My guess would be anywhere from $85,000 to $100,000 - a little less for full scholarships in non-revenue-producing sports.

Tuition is a made up number though
by pmac98  (2021-04-16 13:23:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only real benefits that should be calc'd are room/board, gear, stiped, books.

Closer to $20k or so per year.

Regardless, it is the "value" of what they are getting not
by Irishdog80  (2021-04-16 15:12:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the actual "cost". If you were given a "free" airplane ticket to Europe that the airline did not have to "pay" for, it would still have value. Plus studies have been done of the "value" of a Notre Dame/competitive school education versus other educational institutions that informs the numbers by the Northwestern administrator. Of course, the athlete/student has to take full advantage of the opportunity to realize its value.

If that flight to Europe...
by DavidAddison  (2021-04-17 16:59:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would be otherwise full with paying customers (as ND’s incoming freshman classes would be, without scholarship athletes), then the free flight would have actual cost to the airline.

I would imagine that is factored in
by jt  (2021-04-17 17:58:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I doubt that the extra 20 or so freshman football scholarships given annually is causing ND to turn students away. At this point in time, Notre Dame controls exactly how many kids they take annually. I would doubt that Notre Dame is at a tipping point in terms of admissions and that every athlete admitted is costing them actual dollars. Now, that doesn't change the fact that this scholarship is extremely valuable to the recipient.

Furthermore, a point might be made that scholarships invested 60-80-100 years ago (and continuing on, obviously) helped increase the overall popularity of the school and played a major role in increasing attendance and admissions. There is no question that it was a wise investment in terms of increasing the status of the school.

correct
by jt  (2021-04-17 14:21:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there is tremendous value in the scholarship, which has been lost on many people due to the blatant selfishness and greed being exhibited by the administrators in the athletic department and the University presidents.

By allowing all of these shortcuts, joke majors, etc. they've devalued their product and made it all about the television contracts, etc.

Didn’t seem made up when I was paying it. I would’ve
by jymbo  (2021-04-16 13:28:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

paid a lot less had I known I could make up a number!

Right, but that's no extra cost for the school
by StetsonDan  (2021-04-16 14:04:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The theory is that ND doesn't have to pay itself for the tuition dollars for scholarship athletes. It doesn't cost any more to enroll 85 scholarship football players. There may be some economic loss (that class spot could have been filled by a full-freight paying student), but no actual dollars paid out by the athletic department.

"...that class spot could have been filled..."
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-04-16 18:49:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's a cost to excluding paying students on the waiting list, even if some were getting partial scholarships. Also, you can't go to Costco or Walmart and get ND classes at a discount. It's only available at one place.

Right, but...
by StetsonDan  (2021-04-17 14:05:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It doesn't cost the university anything more to add 85 students to classes. The marginal cost of adding those students to any given class is 0 since that professor is already teaching.

The actual costs would be for the other benefits. As I mentioned, there are economic costs if that spot in the freshman class could have gone to a student whose parents were able to pay full freight, but the main actual costs to the school are room and board plus other benefits since the school doesn't have to pay itself tuition.

This just isn’t true
by DavidAddison  (2021-04-17 16:56:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course it costs ND the cost of tuition for scholarship players. As was pointed out, the spot would be filled by a paying customer otherwise. To ignore that would be ridiculous.

You really think ND is turning away students
by jt  (2021-04-18 01:29:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because they have football players on scholarship?

Value? ....Priceless. - Clubber “Laddy” Lang *
by Inigomontoya  (2021-04-16 04:32:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post