I could see that. The reality is that football is mostly a
by Raoul (2021-07-31 15:32:16)
Edited on 2021-07-31 15:36:47

In reply to: SEC / ACC merger?  posted by El Kabong

Southern sport now at the HS level. And that skewing will probably increase over time. Thus an SEC-ACC kind of combination - in recognition that football is king - makes sense. Even more so if Texas and OU join the SEC.

And SEC hoops would probably benefit.

I see the Big 10 being further isolated. Maybe they hold their noses and pick up a Kansas and West Virginia - and form some sort of partnership with the PAC.

And whatever is left joins up in some sort of AAC Big 12 leftovers mega conference.

I fear we would have to join however.
by Piertravlr  (2021-07-31 16:02:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The SEC didn’t take any of UT’s nonsense, and it would not likely be inclined to give us any special privileges.

Still way better than the Big 10 in every football related sense.

A hide bound conference with a numerically obsolete name *
by thethinman  (2021-07-31 21:07:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the SEC kind of likes ND. Most SEC alums I meet
by Raoul  (2021-07-31 21:02:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are serious about FB and respect ND's tradition. I was working with some UGA consultants the last couple years and they were so enamored of coming to ND for a game. It was a huge deal for them - not unlike some of the ACC schools like Clemson.

And has been discussed in the BR in the past, the South's incursions into the Midwest for HS seniors of an academic nature is serious. Clemson, UGA, Alabama, LSU, UNC, Ga Tech, UVA, Va Tech, FSU, UF, South Carolina, Vandy, Wake Forest...even Tennessee and Kentucky, have growing representation in Chicago surburban HS graduating classes.

ND needs to continue to establish a geographical footprint in the South beacause that is the direction of the Midwest's gravitational pull.

Older alums, yes.
by PeteatND  (2021-08-02 16:29:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Younger SEC alumni have one universal perspective on traditional powers outside the south: “This isn’t 1940 anymore, y’all! What’s your record since 2006??? Wooo, yeeehawwww!”

I fear that’s the way their perspective is more broadly shifting.