An opening hit in this series... 1973
by hudsonvalleyirish (2021-10-19 11:19:14)

In reply to: Board Ops please post the 1971 ND - So Cal Melee  posted by Frank Drebin

An ND freshman CB lights up the great Lynn Swann on the first offensive play.

fun fact about Lynn Swann
by jt  (2021-10-19 17:59:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he and Barry Bonds, Tom Brady, and John Robinson all graduated from the most expensive public high school in the world. And it's named after a girl.

I ran into him at the '11 SC game
by irishrock  (2021-10-19 20:23:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was right behind me in line at the concessions area. My son was 11 at the time I had him introduce himself and Swann was very gracious and shook his hand.

It might have had something to do with the fact that SC was kicking ND's arse, but I found Swann to be quite top notch, fwiw.

your point stands on the high school...I don't have a dog in the fight

I played high school football with his nephew
by jt  (2021-10-20 10:29:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

those guys that I mentioned were all nice guys when I came across them, except for one (won't take much of a guess to figure out who that is), but even he had his moments at times.

Brady's uncle is a Christian Brothers priest who was the principal at the high school my dad taught and coached at, and who later was principal at De La Salle, Concord.

I'm sure Jim Leyland would agree with you
by irishrock  (2021-10-20 13:49:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a lot of people would agree with me
by jt  (2021-10-20 14:20:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

starting with Barry's ASU teammates, who voted to have him permanently kicked off the team, only to have coach Jim Brock override the vote.

Barry has his demons, that's for sure. I'm not going to make excuses for him, but he is the best hitter I have ever seen.

Luther Bradley rocked. Man he was good *
by drmurray  (2021-10-19 12:08:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post