Hunter played two years under Devine and Bell played one
by Moff (2022-05-09 21:36:38)

In reply to: You might want to brush up on Fausts recruiting  posted by ACross

year under same. And yes, Faust started off with No. 1 or No. 2 recruiting classes from 1981 to 1983, including Alonzo Jefferson.

Even in the later years he got Parade All American like Mark Green, Frank Stams, Ned Bolcar (Parade defensive player of the year, etc., etc.) who formed the core of the 1988 leadership. He was a great recruiter and was very good at rounding up guys already anointed by recruiting analysts, but Holtz and Cerrato, et al, were better at making their own talent evaluations.

As you note, it was a different era, and Gerry's job was far easier. We were still "Notre Dame" and the recruits understood we were a team that had just won its 11th National Championship a few years ago, and had the highest winning percentage, the most national championships, the most All Americans, the most academic All Americans, the most Heisman Trophy winners, etc. We just had a run of 16 years with two future HOF coaches. Joe Montana was already winning Super Bowls.

Tonight I met an incoming Freshman student. He did not know who Knute Rockne or the Gipper were (let alone Leahy). He kept saying he did see Rudy many times though. I told him to watch Wake up the Echoes. The current recruits only know ND as a second rate program from before the time they were born. It's an incredibly harder sell now and Freeman is doing a great job. Don't take my word for it, ask any of those greats that Faust recruited because they know first hand how talented they were and are all in. You have decried taking low hanging fruit and Freeman now has a class with 12 guys in it already and none of them are three stars. Enjoy it while it lasts, there will be plenty of time to say you told us so later.

There is a wide gulf between a blank slate
by ACross  (2022-05-09 22:26:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And somebody who was a bad fit and a royal douche from the get go, who also happened to have a shit offense as his secret weapon.

I have no way to predict what may happen on the field. So I can only hope.

Whereas I was certain that Kelly would chow ass.

I was pretty sure I was done with ND football after 12 or
by Moff  (2022-05-09 22:54:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

whatever it was years with Kelly, consistently hating the guy from 2011 forward. Even in 2012, right after the Michigan win, I emailed a Michigan colleague and told him that was the last hurdle for Kelly until the bowl given our relatively weak schedule. I also told him that Alabama would then curb stomp us in the bowl game. Low and behold. Kelly never had a prayer of winning it all, or even exceeding his greatest bowl win over an 8-4 LSU team. It was 10 more years in purgatory. At least we have a chance now and with a guy I really like and want to see win.

Before Davie coached a down I had standard rant including about the knife in Holtz’s back and the fact that he would fail, and sat out his whole tenure. I was agnostic re Ty for about the first year or so. I drank the Kool Aid with Charlie and 2005 and 2006 were fun. As for Kelly, I remember seeing him on the TV coaching Cincy at the end of Charlie’s tenure. Kelly was turning purple over something and threw a kicker under the bus in an interview and I thought, “Oh no.” I heard him speak early on and it was akin to the DMV speech and I thought “Oh no.”

Long story short, other than 2005 -2006, it’s been about 26 years since I felt this good about the head coach. Guys from all eras, from Ara’s to the recent guys, are glowing about him. I know that’s not science but I think he is going to do well after some bumps as part the learning curve. It will be good to be all in rooting for him either way.

Because he’s the first since Holtz willing to do the entire
by Btd  (2022-05-10 01:58:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Job at Nd. Step 1 is loving ND as it is v wanting it to be something else. Sans that you can’t win at Nd at our desired level. Then it is the aptitude and desire I described in my post above.

Kelly could have had 22 starting 5 star players and still
Could not have won a title - because he was dead set on never fixing the offense. Freeman is very unlikely to repeatedly do something he sees is failing every time against elite teams. He unfortunately lacks the experience to already know what to do. He will have to cost us a title or two first by in game mistakes - but then he has that experience to learn how to not make those mistakes again.

Then layer in he can recruit at a Faust level so with elite talent and experience he can equal Holtz level results. I doubt the 3 year rule will work with him - title wise - but it will be clear by then if he is the real deal or not.