honest to God, just turn the TV down
by jt (2022-05-16 00:39:54)

In reply to: Ryan Harris would be excellent *  posted by Widespread irish

announcers add very, very little.

You exaggerate their importance
by nihilist in golf pants  (2022-05-16 13:57:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm only sort of kidding. A good announcing crew (like Tirico and Dungy) can add a lot, but a bad crew can make watching the game much less enjoyable than watching with the sound turned down.

The only problem with turning the sound down on ND broadcasts is that you don't necessarily know the names of the players, especially the opposition.

That's where I am.
by mocopdx  (2022-05-16 09:33:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Couldn't tell you the last ND game I've intentionally watched with sound.

Surround sound stadium noise only...band, crowd..stats *
by Irishdog80  (2022-05-16 01:07:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was the feed I watched for the championship game.
by tdiddy07  (2022-05-16 12:57:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were formally announcers that provided essential game updates. But those were kept to a minimal. I would choose that setup every time.

I'd consider paying money for something like that *
by El Kabong  (2022-05-16 12:21:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They've had something similar during the ESPN "megacast"
by ndgenius  (2022-05-16 12:59:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the National Championship game I believe. I remember tuning in and thinking it was boring. I don't make a big deal about announcers because I don't think they add much but the game felt naked without it unfortunately.

There was a Dolphins / Jets game like this in 1980
by catripledomer  (2022-05-16 15:49:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While the ratings were marginally better, the telecast was considered a failure. However, with today's technology and number of cameras I would think this could be a bit hit.

In a 5.1 setup, just disconnect the center channel. Voila! *
by PWK2  (2022-05-16 12:50:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post