Had an interesting NBC conversation tonight
by Nyirish08 (2022-09-17 23:10:57)
Edited on 2022-09-18 09:28:54

With high up NBC people...
Tappen is shitcanned from NBC at the close of the year as an overpaid white female without hockey. The only things that get watched on peacock are football, epl, and Yellowstone. It's dead without sports, probably dead anyway.
NBC invests preposterous personnel resources to ND, given the small national attention.
ND gets between $65-70mm per year from all sources in the current TV deal of independence.
That number would be $75-80mm per year in the big ten, the same number Rutgers would get in the situation NBC is proposing to ND as a big 10 member.
Swarbucks is intrigued

It makes sense to me that ND would get more in the B1G
by tf86  (2022-09-20 10:27:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Than as an independent for one reason alone: inventory.

As an independent, NBC has access to only seven ND games per year, six home games plus the Shamrock Series game. By contrast, if ND joined the Big Ten, the Big Ten TV deal would cover all ND games except for road OOC games, so 10-11 games per year. From the networks' standpoint, 10-11 games per year has to be worth more than seven games per year (I understand NBC doesn't get the whole Big Ten package).

Yes, but we’re sharing that 10-11 game revenue with others.
by tdiddy07  (2022-09-20 10:37:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It goes into a pot along with the Minnesota-Indiana game, and then comes back out split evenly among all members. We don’t split the NBC revenue with anyone. (Though we make payouts to one-off teams.) Which is why we don’t ordinarily get away game tv revenue. I don’t recall if the ACC network gives us anything for football. It’s possible we get a small amount, but I would assume we don’t.

So if ND were to have a home schedule with two big brand matchups per year and otherwise had games that were as nationally attractive as the rest of the Big Ten slate would be, ND should make more money as an independent. It doesn’t have to prop up poorly performing conference members.

ND has been getting paid less as an independent
by tf86  (2022-09-21 10:27:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And would be looking at a smaller payout going forward as an independent. The most recently negotiated Big Ten deal has been estimated at about $80 million per year per member. The number I'm hearing for ND as an independent (and I could be wrong about this) is about $65 million per year. Personally, I think it's worth it to leave $15 million per year on the table under those circumstances to remain independent, but there's no doubt that we'll get less. Moreover, ND is one of the only, if not the only, non-Big Ten members who can drive the share of each conference member up by joining the conference. So clearly the networks are willing to pay more for us as part of the Big Ten than NBC is willing to pay for us as an independent.

I have heard that ND receives about $11 million per year from the ACC. That's obviously not a full share, but I'm not exactly sure how it's broken down. It could include some amount for ACC road football games.

Yeah, about hockey.
by usaf_irish  (2022-09-20 07:29:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They'll have it again in 2024 when they buy WB Discovery.

What are the "preposterous personnel resources" that NBC has
by ArasEra  (2022-09-18 21:57:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

invested?

It can't be the announcers who have been second-rate at best. Haven't had a top-notch team since the beginning with Enberg and Walsh and the very brief period with Tirico and Dungy.

It can't be the telecast itself which pales in comparison to other networks broadcasts.

This past Saturday we had two sideline reporters
by Nyirish08  (2022-09-19 13:51:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In addition to the booth. In past years they have flown out a separate on field halftime desk crew with Simms, mchugh, I think Rodney Harrison a few times.
They do huge entertainment weekends out there as well. Usc home years as well as whatever the best home game is. Clemson is the one this year where they'll have that hotel in Eddy st rented out for their VIP list. They bring out whatever star they can get for that weekend to hang out and tailgate and do dinner the night before at 7 on 9.

That sounds less like they're investing in the broadcast
by KeoughCharles05  (2022-09-20 10:28:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and more like NBC and ND bigwigs personally benefit from parties held on campus.

Nobody watching the game cares about an on-field halftime desk, nor about multiple sideline reporters.

Tirico was the only football announcer since Enberg
by gordonbombay  (2022-09-19 11:17:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tom Hammond is a horse racing person. Dan Hicks is a swimming person. We ended up with Tirico by accident because he wanted Al's job and Al didn't want to leave so he had nothing better to do for five years.

NBC has been treating ND like a JV team since they lost the NFL package that CBS now has, frankly, and certainly since Enberg moved on.

Something seems off about this. ND wouldn't give up indepen-
by VaDblDmr  (2022-09-18 17:57:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dence for $10 million/year. But I have been led to believe that the difference is much greater than that. From everything I've read, $65-$70 million seems to be a wild overestimation of ND's current TV revenues. But maybe your NBC source knows better.

I hope you suggested that they replace their dreadfull ND
by Wolfetone  (2022-09-18 10:26:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Announcers

Any chance you could write this passage in English:
by VaDblDmr  (2022-09-18 09:22:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"ND gets between $65-70mm per year from all sources nbc related football
That number is $75-80mm per year in the big ten, as the same number Rutgers gets in the situation NBC is proposing to ND as a big 10 member."

I don't follow what this says at all.

Sorry I was post bar
by Nyirish08  (2022-09-18 09:26:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The current deal is worth about ten million less than joining the big 10. But joing conference would probably grow the deal bigger over time, whereas independence is pretty stable.

10 million seems like a figure donors could make up
by ryND  (2022-09-18 09:17:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty easily. If it was 30 or so I would at least understand why Saavy jack would look.

The whole players becoming employees is the bigger deal.

$10mm = 40 pieces of silver. *
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-09-18 06:39:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Inflation in play? Thirty pieces of silver in Matt 26:15. *
by sorin69  (2022-09-18 07:10:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Y'all really think I know that detail? *
by GoldCoastIrish  (2022-09-19 11:59:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Judas should've held out
by captaineclectic  (2022-09-18 11:46:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

30 pieces of silver would only be worth about $75 today. On the other hand, depositing that money in a modestly-returning mutual fund, say 4%, would be worth ... slightly more.

The last ten pieces were NIL money. *
by PWK2  (2022-09-18 12:08:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t follow your last bit.
by goirish89  (2022-09-18 02:54:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“The situation NBC is proposing to NBC(?)……”

Sorry corrected the extra word *
by Nyirish08  (2022-09-18 04:46:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post