Some other names to consider
by DBCooper (2022-11-27 22:15:06)
Edited on 2022-11-28 09:43:22

In reply to: Who are the top OC candidates to keep an eye on?  posted by BigEND

Andy Ludwig - very experienced OC with stops at Wisconsin and current Utah OC.

Garrett Riley - say what you want about his brother, but TCU has a great offense and if the name alone helps to bring in a top QB, he is worth it.

Chip Lindsey - (Edit)UCF had a great offense this year. Malzaln disciple, so consider the tree, but served as a HC before and UCF had a very strong well rounded offense this year. Obviously not the strongest schedule, but still, impressive numbers.

Alex Golesh - probably won’t leave Tenn for similar job, but was an SA at OSU when Freeman was a student. So, perhaps they know each other. Only guy here who is not a QB coach though. Also has connections to ND analyst Dre Brown and is from Dublin Ohio (ND does well in Dublin)

Wouldn't doubt it if Riley got the Cincinnati HC job.
by Queensman  (2022-11-28 13:11:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I saw him named there in one story to replace Fickell. Either way, I'll bet Riley gets a HC job somewhere soon.

Nit: Lindsey was the OC at UCF
by StetsonDan  (2022-11-28 09:33:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, I don't think Golesh or any similar OCs who come from the Art Briles tree of what's been labeled as the Veer n' Shoot fit with the sort of offense that others have identified as playing to Notre Dame's historical strengths (tight end and offensive line). That sort of offense relies primarily on WR speed and spread spacing forcing the defense to either commit to stopping the run (and leaving the corners on an island and allowing the wide receivers to run option routes similar to the old run n' shoot offense) or committing to stopping the pass and leaving the defense vulnerable to being gashed up the middle.

Ludwig's offense at Utah relied heavily on two tight end formations and fits ND's historical strengths perfectly.

Good catch, Corrected
by DBCooper  (2022-11-28 09:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m a sucker for anything connected to Utah and especially Whittingham.

If ND ever needed a HC again (and let’s hope it’s not for a Very long time) Whittingham would be my first call, though I doubt he would leave Utah.

I think Golesh’s offense could work at ND. I’m not a huge believer an offense at ND must be focused on TEs and running game. Might be the easier way, but certainly not the only way.

I feel like...........
by Ty Webb  (2022-11-27 22:59:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we are setting ourselves up for disappointment at this point.

Rees will be back, they'll land a kid like Devin Leary in the portal and the story will be that we will see the best of Rees now that he has a competent grad transfer at QB.

If he does stay
by DBCooper  (2022-11-27 23:04:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m hoping it’s with a requirement that he must take on an experienced analyst for QB coaching (and with a different perspective of running an offense). If the rumors are true that he turned that idea down in the summer, perhaps a humbling season, or more importantly a more assertive HC after a season under his belt, will resurrect that idea. And this time it will not be a suggestion.

Do you think this season was "humbling" to Rees? *
by Dan93  (2022-11-28 00:13:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, Jack probably was in his ear.
by Brahms  (2022-11-28 09:03:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"You're an up and comer kid, these things work themselves out. Uncle Jack has your back. We love what you and Marcus do for the brand -- we're a bit late to the party, but that garage-start-up thing is still in."

If Rees stays Freeman will have sacrificed his career as a
by Grace91  (2022-11-27 23:07:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

head coach before it got off the ground.