A song I listened to after the ND/SC game
by mkovac (2022-11-28 14:38:58)
Edited on 2022-11-28 14:40:04

It's from 1971 and has more to do with anti-war sentiments, but I played over and over on Sunday when I was doing yard work, thinking about Swarbrick and the Irish

I saw him in concert in '73.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2022-11-28 22:03:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He literally bumped into me on his way off the stage after the first show, and I was waiting in line in the adjacent hallway for the second show. (Yeah, it was a small venue.) He was very good, and I remember thinking that I'd be looking forward to hearing a lot more from him. But I never did. And I don't think anyone else ever did, either. He had one of those "fart in the wind" careers, I guess.

Fabulous tune. Haven't heard it in years but it was on my
by drmurray  (2022-11-28 20:06:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

playlist 40+ years ago!

My song after: 20 bottles of beer on the wall, 20 bottles of
by other_guy  (2022-11-28 18:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

beer. Take 1 down, drink it down, and there's 19 bottles of beer on the wall. (repeat 19 more times . . .)

I have this single also.....
by Wolfetone  (2022-11-28 17:25:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had a friend who played this record 56 times in a row...I didn't
like it that much....

56 times in a row. Interesting.
by mkovac  (2022-11-28 18:53:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the fall of 1968, I was living in the now demolished Holy Cross Hall with my roommate.

I was staying awake because I had been asked by a St. Mary's student to pick up her female friend at the entrance to LeMans Hall at midnight and to take her to another friend's house in South Bend.

I had brought an "illegal" car home from California after Christmas vacation because we were going to be moving off campus at the end of the first semester in January of 1969.

I had no trouble staying awake. The guys in the room below us, on the first floor, had the long version of "Ina Gadda Da Vida" (which is actually pretty damn good) playing over and over. I mean like for 3 hours. I finally went down to their room, knocked quietly - no answer - and opened it. About 5 guys were on the beds and on the floor, stoned out of their ass and all asleep. I put the needle arm off the record and turned it off.

I picked up my 67 Ford Fairlane - not a real looker but the quietest car I've ever driven - over to Saint Mary's. No girl friend. I waited an hour at the front of LeMans Hall, then abandoned the effort, took my car back to the married student housing section where I was stashing it until I got in trouble over it with Riehle and had to pay a fine. He could be a real dick.

mk

Had another friend and another story.....
by Wolfetone  (2022-11-29 10:57:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's 1969 and we had been drinking quite a bit. It's after 1AM and Steve
says let's go back to my place in Coney Island and I'll show you my new
set of drums (you can guess where this is going). His apartment is in a
large complex and he pulls out a set of drums from a closet. He sets
them up and puts on "Ina Gadda Da Vida". He plays along perfectly note
for note .

that's great!
by mkovac  (2022-11-29 15:46:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you watched the long version that I posted, you could see that the drummer was transcendent.

Their long version reminds me of The Doors long version of "Light My Fire," in which Manzarek and Krieger get solos that riff off each other.

The long version of "Ina Gadda Da Vida" has a similar set of solos, with each instrument getting their own time to solo. Their guitarist was only 17 when that song was recorded.

Ara's era, different AD's and presidents. A two-loss season.
by The Flash  (2022-11-28 15:21:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why no bowl game after that season? I do not recall.

I think you might be referring to '71 season?
by tf86  (2022-11-30 11:55:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND was offered a bid in the Gator Bowl that year but players voted it down.

Fwiw, there were 12 bowl games that year. There are 41 today (not counting the CFP championship game.)

I think the first bowl was after the 1970 season, vs Texas
by mkovac  (2022-11-28 15:37:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND did not accept bowl bids when I was there and I think it was the 1971 Cotton Bowl that ND appeared for the first time in the modern era. (link)

It was after '69 season, went to Cotton1, lost (1:08 left) *
by oldtownirish  (2022-11-28 15:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Confirmed. I was there. *
by domerfromkansas  (2022-11-28 18:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thank you.
by mkovac  (2022-11-28 16:10:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I forgot about that one....conveniently.