While I want to bring someone in, I'm not interested.
by tdiddy07 (2022-12-02 09:42:53)
Edited on 2022-12-02 09:45:01

In reply to: Is it ridiculous that he could return here?  posted by Otter

I don't care about his comments a few weeks ago. I've never been particularly impressed with the Western-PA hype machine. Like Buchner, people salivated over him in recruiting even though there was a huge gap between him and others at the elite camps. He was never someone who could've stepped in and done well early. He was a development project as someone with tools who didn't throw the ball accurately enough to excel in college. Even though Irish fans were so disenchanted with Kelly's QB development that they demanded this be so.

And his development trajectory does not show someone who would seriously compete for the job. He's had one year as an effective game manager, but where he had a 60 percent completion percentage on only 7.6 ypa. His 150 passer rating season in 2021 he effectively threw the ball down the field, but he had a 7/4 TD/INT ratio. And that was only in six games, two of which were Colgate, UMass and 3-9 Ga Tech. He played poorly against halfway decent teams. And this year, he struggled. Even after injury, he likely lost his starting job, which is why he is leaving.

We'll have enough depth for depth's sake next year. Even if we can't find a surefire starter, I'd rather take someone like Card or a guy who got beat out by a talented QB at a better program than BC. They'd be more likely to compete for the job.

Don't Shoot the Messenger
by RJD  (2022-12-02 10:57:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your stats on Phil reminded me of my post earlier in the season when Drew Pyne was Top 50 in Passing Efficiency but was told his performance was declining. It was but Drew finished #20 in Passing Efficiency rating (155.27) with 64.6% completions, 22TD / 6 Int, and 8 yds a completion (#38).

Mike Singer noted on YouTube that Pyne ranked #5 with that Passing Efficiency in ND history, just ahead of John Huarte from a different time, but #5 (or 6? can't remember) all time at ND.

[Link not in box because someone already posted link]

http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/leader/national/player/split01/category02/sort02.html

I am not saying DP is the Answer but enough with the midget abuse heard here...Rick

Who cares about a pututative "west PA hype machine"
by ACross  (2022-12-02 10:35:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he decides he wants to come back and graduate from ND and reunite with his teammates, I would be all for it. But I assume he is not a huge fan of the Kelly offense , which what we are still running w Rees.

The point is that we ought to be able to find someone better *
by tdiddy07  (2022-12-02 13:19:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though to be fair, it's a better offense than...
by DawsonMayes871  (2022-12-02 10:42:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...the one BC ran this past season which is reenacted below by Daniel Snyder.

he's better than a Toledo/Ball State/Central Michigan-type
by MrE  (2022-12-02 10:05:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

starter.

But agreed, you can't take him.

I'd probably rather have Rourke from Ohio U. or Hartman from
by tdiddy07  (2022-12-02 10:28:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

WF or Harris at UTSA if someone like that was available. Over Jurkovec. I'd probably prefer talented guys at bigger programs that played well but lost their jobs.

Toledo's Dequan Finn
by Twinkie the Kid  (2022-12-02 10:37:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is pretty damn good. He's had an injury-riddled season, but when he's healthy, he's solid. As ND fans may recall, had he taken a knee last year at the 1-yard line (instead of running it in for the TD), Toledo probably would've walked out of ND stadium with a win.