Might as well find out what we have. He will show something
by Raoul (2022-12-02 14:31:53)

In reply to: Anyone Who Thinks Buchner Is Going To Be Better ..  posted by OswegoJoe

to the coaches if he has anything going for him. He looked awful in the first couple games. Truly awful. So if I were him and coaches I'd want to see what he can do having sat and watched.

his game against Ohio State was better than a handful of
by MrE  (2022-12-02 14:46:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pyne's games, and it was against the #8 rated Defense in CFB on the road in week 1 when our OL was tippy-toeing around.

He outplayed Pyne by a mile in the Marshall game if you go by QBR.

Not saying he's great - he's definitely unproven and will be completely rusty - but he was not set up to succeed.

I do think Buchner would have played well in more than 3-4 games this season.

Going by QBR for Marshall seems like a slim reed...
by Kbyrnes  (2022-12-02 15:42:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Buchner was 18 of 32, 201 yards, zero TDs, 2 interceptions, including the pick-6 that effectively cost us the game. Rating: 53.7. Rather weak.

Pyne was 3 of 6, 20 yards, 1 TD, 1 interception. Rating: 15.4. Rather meaningless, in my opinion.

EDIT:

Year to date QBRs for Buchner and Pyne:

Buchner, 52.9
Pyne, 67.8

Why did you omit the rushing stats ?
by MrE  (2022-12-02 15:44:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kind of important dynamic

QBR shows Buchner clearly outplayed Pyne.

The passing was equal.

And do you put that last INT on Buchner or Thomas?

Because they aren't part of the QBR, which is the metric...
by Kbyrnes  (2022-12-02 15:49:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that you chose. But if they are important, someone should report them. Here you go:

Buchner: 24 attempts, 62 net yards, 2.6 yards per carry, 2 TDs (2 games)

Pyne: 47 attempts, 108 net yards, 2.3 per carry, 2 TDs (11 games)

I was talking about Marshall only
by MrE  (2022-12-02 15:55:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it should be noted Buchners other game was against Ohio State.

No opportunity to play shit defenses like USC, Navy, UNLV, BYU, UNC, BC, Syracuse, Cal, and Stanford (9 games).

It was already 26-15 when Pyne got in against Marshall
by SenatorJohnBlutarsky  (2022-12-02 18:24:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the 4th quarter and I think he got to play 2 series of downs. Don’t really think that’s much of a sample size to compare to TB’s.

Buchner has 5 interceptions in 85 passes. 3 touchdowns.
by 1978Irish  (2022-12-02 15:02:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is a small sample and he might develop into a good QB, but so far he has not shown the ability to read defenses and tends to throw the ball into traffic.

So far, he hasn’t played like a starting QB on a top 20 team and my guess would be that he isn’t going to develop enough to be one.

I can live with that assessment.
by MrE  (2022-12-02 15:03:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just making a comparison vs. the play of the other QB.