game day question - hotels not in SB
by parietals (2023-03-21 08:05:48)

What is the radius around South Bend that requires a two night stay at extortion prices? I'm considering going to a game this fall but don't really want to spend both nights. I'm willing to stay outside of SB and drive in, as long as it's not terribly far. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are driving from the East Coast
by doghoused  (2023-03-22 11:40:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Elkhart is a good choice because there are a lot of hotel options and it gives you a slight jump on the trip home Sunday. Also, the Chubby Trout is a good place for pub food and beers.

During my son's time, we also stayed at a motel where the Indiana Toll Road and Interstate 69 intersect in the far eastern end of Indiana. It is roughly an hour east of campus, so it requires some commitment but the motels are quite cheap and staying there gives you an hour jump on your ride home.

Depending on what direction you're coming from...
by Kbyrnes  (2023-03-21 17:42:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...you might want to consider a 40-45 minute drive time in all directions. For example, if you're flying into O'Hare and then driving into Indiana, you could find lodging at the Hampton Inn Chesterton on Route 49 just off the toll road or Hampton Inn LaPorte on Route 39, also just off the toll road. That way your lodging would be on the way to and back from ND without undue travel in other directions.

New Buffalo as well
by exit77  (2023-03-21 12:22:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hotel Chains at Exit 1 off 94, about 45 minutes from campus. Nice downtown as well.

Hotels in LaPorte are reasonable
by sprack  (2023-03-21 10:43:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few of us stayed overnight after the Clemson game, was a normal price.

We have always stayed in St. Joe's in Michigan. Several
by airedaleman  (2023-03-21 08:38:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hotel options are available as well as places to dine. Maybe a 45 minute drive and prices did nit reflect gouging when we stayed.

Yep. And can tack on the beach or golf
by manofdillon  (2023-03-21 13:53:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if going to an early season game and want to make a weekend out of it. The drive down and back on gameday is very manageable (I grew up in the area, and we typically stay with my in-laws in the area when we go to games).

This is our strategyas well *
by drmurray  (2023-03-21 11:24:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree
by Lloyd Braun  (2023-03-21 09:39:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've lived in, or near, SJ for my entire life.
Lots of hotels in Stevensville right off I-94 that are an easy 45 minute drive to campus. They're all chains, but most of them are newer and in a nice, safe area. And I'm sure ND games don't figure anywhere in their pricing.

We’ve done strictly Airbnb the last several years
by Doolinbanjos  (2023-03-21 08:34:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We do stay both nights but the prices are pretty reasonable. You might check those out.