Thanks. I agreed with the guy against the nanny state
by gregmorrissey (2023-03-29 09:55:42)

In reply to: BTW, you'd like Wetzel/Forde podcast from yesterday.  posted by MrE

The transparency guy was full of shit. If they want to require disclosure to the school or another governing body, then it should only go as far as KYC-type reporting and not into actual contract terms.

I get most frustrated about the whole thing when people act like there aren't other models to follow for how to execute and where to put guardrails to protect from bad actors. The NBA and NFL have agent certification and registration requirements. I'm pretty sure both leagues also have rules about the kinds of products that can be endorsed.

I don't love salary caps or even collective bargaining at least to start. I'd prefer running it wide open for 5 or so years to see if universities are able avoid colluding to keep compensation down or, on the other end, bankrupting themselves with bad deals. If, after 5 years, the athletes want to consider unionizing and collective bargaining then it might make sense. Jumping straight there will be a bad deal for the players almost guaranteed.