Regarding "running it wide open for 5 or so years"
by MrE (2023-03-29 10:16:14)
Edited on 2023-03-29 10:23:54

In reply to: Thanks. I agreed with the guy against the nanny state  posted by gregmorrissey

Michael Mayer and Drake Maye are recent examples of success stories. Same with Nigel Pack, Nico I (Tennessee QB), Kansas State basketball, et al. The Rashada deal was unfortunate, but probably a necessary learning point for recruits and current CFB players.

I agree a wide-open marketplace (like the real world job market) would be better than unionized labor and salary caps and floors. I bang the 50% rev share drum primarily to show the discrepancy in treatment between Major CFB and the other 4 major pro leagues. 5% vs. 50%.

I believe the free market is much better. Let Ohio State find their $13M and see if that is enough to compete. If not, ratchet it up to $25M, $30M, $60M whatever it takes to pay the players and still have a shot at the national title.

If Northwestern wants to put all their donations from Ryan into a stadium and keep player payroll at $2M a year, pocket the TV money, and go 1-11, so be it.