Bevacqua did the PR work for the soccer game in the Stadium *
by El Kabong (2024-03-18 18:00:44)

This user did not provide content for this post

Lasorda sent a limousine to pick him up
by jt  (2024-03-19 11:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I took my little league baseball team to see the Braves vs
by 93NationalChampions  (2024-03-20 16:31:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dodgers in 89 or 90. The guy signed everything in front of him. He was very entertaining.

Helen Dell on the organ, ladies and gentlemen!
by mkovac  (2024-03-20 13:24:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Give that lady a hand.

Just one hand, please. I think she's into that whole "Tibetan one hand clapping" trip.

And, this is LA. So be advised...

My friend's dad was a longtime minor-league GM.
by tenndomer  (2024-03-20 11:18:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At one of the winter meetings, the elevator doors opened and Lasorda saw Ed and his beer belly, which he'd spent a lifetime creating, pointed and said, "Now that's a major-league boiler."

It was one of Ed's prouder moments.

During a NBC Saturday game of the week in ~1975, Lasorda
by OldIrishFan  (2024-03-20 08:39:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coached third base for the Dodgers and was miked for one inning. Bill Buckner was with the Dodgers and was on third base. Pete Rose was playing third base for the Reds. Lasorda began by reminding Buckner of the competition the Dodgers had held for the best looking guy on the Reds. He stated that Rose had finished second with Rose showing surprise. Lasorda then dropped the punchline. The other 24 guys finished in a tie for first. Both Buckner, Rose, the announcers, and a National TV audience got a good laugh out of that.

Is that you and Tommy Lasorda?
by dignan  (2024-03-19 14:29:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hate Tommy Lasorda

I sat near Lasorda at a few Dodger games
by Son of Galway  (2024-03-19 13:33:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Close enough that I could hear what he was saying. Almost every sentence had at least two expletives.

There were a whole lot of things to dislike about Tommy Lasorda.

That fat little Italian! *
by SWPaDem  (2024-03-19 12:36:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will Leed's announcer be on the mike for NBC?
by graNDfan  (2024-03-18 20:40:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's kind of an NBC tradition to have a most hated rival call the game in this stadium....

Are they going to play on the artificial turf or will there
by Grace91  (2024-03-18 18:56:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be temporary grass installed?

Don't you know you can't grow grass in northern Indiana?
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-03-19 19:54:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not even for a field that's expected to last for a mere 90 minutes.

It's one of the many fundamental truths bestowed upon us by the esteemed, departing Director of Athletics.

If I remember right, he came to that conclusion after a
by SWPaDem  (2024-03-20 15:42:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rigorous, nationwide search of pre-determined conclusions, same as he did for everything associated with the football program.

After not talking to Desso or Green Bay
by ACross  (2024-03-20 19:18:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Green Bay figures it out. Desso was great. But they went back to the drawing board and found something even better.

He didn't come here to be called a liar *
by threeleafdomer  (2024-03-20 14:36:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd be shocked if Liverpool agreed to artificial turf. *
by ndroman21  (2024-03-19 09:59:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why not? Better chance for Chelsea players to get hurt.
by dfw  (2024-03-19 11:06:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes it easier for Liverpool in next years EPL.

The Liverpool game at ND was a few years ago and played on grass.

Yeah, that was a pretty good brain fart.
by ndroman21  (2024-03-19 11:39:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I meant Chelsea. Frankly, I don't think Celtic would probably agree to it either.

They didn't say.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-18 19:18:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently, they brought grass from New Jersey for the 2018 Liverpool game but Klopp wasn't happy with it.

The grass wasn't that bad.
by OITLinebacker  (2024-03-19 08:52:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think one of the issues with the grass was that it was the hottest day in South Bend in something like 10 years in the midst of a hot dry week. So perhaps it wasn't watered enough? It looked good from my seats and made me wish it was a permanent replacement. I didn't notice it causing any issues with the players either.

Maybe we can use it as an excuse to tear out the fake turf
by Grace91  (2024-03-18 19:51:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and go back to real grass. One can dream...

We have tens of millions of extra dollars on its way yearly
by DawsonMayes871  (2024-03-20 08:45:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't really care if we take out the field turf because I see the benefit to being able to host other events in the stadium, but we're not hosting anything but football during the fall. I don't see why we could not have grass for games. Come up with a system to overlay sod in July/August. Have backup ready in case it gets ripped up too much during the season.

We can afford it. We should do it.

That is some deep thinking *
by ACross  (2024-03-20 19:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m going to multiple concerts this summer at CitiField.
by Moff  (2024-03-20 09:37:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They put down the interlocking plastic thingies to protect the grass and the Mets will be back out there playing baseball a few days later. ND could do the same. The turf is there at ND because our 3rd rate former coach claimed it would give him some sort of advantage.

Baseball fields look terrible after concerts
by shea  (2024-03-20 20:09:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND never has any other events in the stadium in-season, though, so I don't see why it matters so much to have turf under the floor for those vs. grass.

Linked is CitiField less than a week after 2 nights of
by Moff  (2024-03-21 02:56:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dead and Co last summer (I went to both and would feel bad if I messed up my favorite team’s field). The field looks great and perfectly playable for baseball let alone football.

(I say that as someone who once had to have a chipped tooth repaired after getting hit with a bad hop while playing shortstop on a poorly maintained field. As instructed, I had my glove down but the ball made an unexpected beeline to my face. Not as bad as the sizzling line drive that hit me directly in the eye socket while pitching. I wanted to keep playing until I saw the look on my brother’s face as he saw the aftermath. He told me to go in the house immediately and see my mother the nurse. I survived and got better at protecting myself as I got older, but I digress.)

By contrast, I recall how bad the field looked at Shea after an August 1992 Clapton/Elton John concert there, with completely dead grass where the main pathways were. That was the old technology in terms of protecting the grass. As you note, NDs events are nowhere near the football season, and in the case of graduation, involve a relatively small group walking on the field.

Here is a video of the aftermath of the Clapton/Elton John
by Moff  (2024-03-21 03:17:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

concert at Shea a week earlier during the 1992 season. I can’t help but feel partially responsible. At the 14 minute mark, the announcers discuss the visible damage and the effect on outfield play. That was the old technology.

Accept? Winger? Warrant? Ratt? Dokken? *
by ACross  (2024-03-20 19:19:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bingo *
by Grace91  (2024-03-20 13:02:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The most hallowed fake turf in the land! *
by SWPaDem  (2024-03-20 11:32:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From your lips to God's ears *
by IrishLep  (2024-03-19 13:26:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Could deliver it to the front yard of Jack's house (free of
by SWPaDem  (2024-03-19 07:49:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

charge) since he (and Garth Brooks) like it so much. Maybe they could split it!

That would be nice. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-18 20:19:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My thoughts exactly *
by garbageplate  (2024-03-18 20:14:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had heard Fortuna or Sampson reference a 3/18 date
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-18 18:26:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

earlier this month on a podcast, so I wonder if the March 25 date got moved up, or if our departing AD is on a one-week retirement tour.

A one-week retirement tour? But where would he go? *
by SWPaDem  (2024-03-19 07:24:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He could make a tour of the Monk Malloy bathrooms in the
by OldIrishFan  (2024-03-20 08:42:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Administration building. Their only true accomplishment of note.

I'll wager he'll be at the ND WBB game on Saturday.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-19 10:09:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am just guessing here, but don't be surprised if he's honored during a break in the game.

He saved PTO to use for his last week. *
by NDBass  (2024-03-18 18:32:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Welcome aboard!
by knutesteen  (2024-03-18 18:23:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looking forward to seeing marked improvement in all AD roles/actions/leadership/soul. Fingers crossed. Press release linked.