Based on what they are feeding the regular students, I don't
by NDVermin95 (2024-04-19 08:23:34)

In reply to: Is the Gug physically unable to accommodate a kitchen?  posted by Bruno95

doubt the nutritional program is an issue. The one consistent complaint I hear from my daughter and her friends is the offerings in the dining halls are abysmal. Simple fresh fruit is rarely available outside of apples. It just doesn't seem to be a priority for the University because they sure have the resources. Hoping these improvements for the team somehow spill over for the students.....won't hold my breath though.

My kid graduated 5 years ago. She said clubs would
by rick  (2024-04-19 17:52:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have berries at meetings to entice people to show up, because the dining hall never had them.

The dining hall menus are posted in detail...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-04-19 13:34:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...See here: South Dining Hall menus.

The choices are not exactly reflective of a whole-food plant-based diet, but there are resources to get fruit and vegetables. For dinner tonight,. for example, they list (as for every meal, it seems) apples, oranges, and bananas as fruit choices. A salad bar includes iceberg lettuce (thumbs down for that), spinach, and "locally grown salad greens." Under "Vegan," they list carrots, celery, flax seed, and almonds along with hummus and a few other items. The pasta stir fry allows you to choose tomatoes, broccoli, and mushrooms.

Our younger daughter ('20) lived in Farley and went to the NDH, and I ate there maybe a half-dozen time during her tenure, and got into the SDH, my old haunt, a few times as well. Is it foodie-quality stuff? Not really. Is it minimally adequate? I'd say so. Abysmal seems a bit more than how I'd describe it. There are also a lot of choices outside of the dining halls that include outlets that match the trend towards healthier quick-service food. For example, there was a Mediterranean spot in the Hesburgh Center where you could get a salad or a rice bowl with Naf Naf Grill-style toppings--garbanzos, baba ganouj, etc. Flip Kitchen in the Huddle area of LaFortune has rice bowls, salads, smoothies, and flatbreads. In the last several months I was there and had a Thai style chicken bowl with carrots, lettuce, Chinese cabbage, and other stuff.

This seems suspect.
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-19 09:17:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can’t speak to all the offerings, but I know there was ample fresh fruit options when we took the kids to the dining hall last fall. And I would highly doubt there are fewer fruit options than there were when I was a student.

Certainly making food for such large numbers has its challenges, and there are likely still more options that are carb-heavy or fried. And an athletics program policing choices is another challenge when there are options with varying nutritional value. But it’s not hard to get salad with grilled chicken and hard-boiled eggs if we’re just talking about access to nutritional food.

Fruit Loops are a kind of fruit *
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-19 15:55:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So are tomatoes. Try mixing them with Fruit Loops
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-20 04:10:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for an Epicurean delight!

"Hey, how 'bout a nice Hawaiian Punch?!"
by Shifty  (2024-04-19 16:00:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I must admit that when I was a kid I LOVED this stuff. I would bet my Mom to buy it. Although she was no health nut, she rarely would. I remember the big cans of it, and you'd punch out a triangle-shaped hole on each side and it would come glug-glug-gluging out. So delicious. And, as the commercial makes clear, loaded with good for you fruit, too.

Well not sure when you were there visiting or dropping off
by NDVermin95  (2024-04-19 10:19:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the kids but we've heard plenty of jokes about how the menus are far more favorable when there are lots of parents anticipated to be in town (Admitted students weekends, etc). My kid isn't super picky so honestly I've been surprised about the complaints regarding food. I didn't have any complaints back in the 90s!