The NCAA numbers for Sandelin are interesting.
by Mr Wednesday (2018-04-09 19:16:21)

In reply to: So a few numbers to make us feel worse...! :)  posted by wearendhockey

Small sample size and all that, but I wonder if there is something systematic that he's doing that doesn't wear well when the opponents have more of a history?

Perhaps similar to the Syracuse zone D?
by Tex Francisco  (2018-04-11 18:53:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On numerous occasions, Syracuse outperformed a low seed, and I believe it is at least partially attributable to teams not being familiar with their defense.

It is a small sample size,
by wearendhockey  (2018-04-10 13:33:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but what I find impressive is it is in every season he's taken a team to the NCAAs. No matter the turnover in players he's never a one and done. I don't know what it is, but it has to be something Sandelin is specifically doing.

UMD has also been pretty patient with him (as they were with his predecessor). They allowed him a couple of bad seasons to get his feet wet, and then did not go overboard when a FF trip in his 3rd season was followed a few years of mediocre or bad hockey. They've been rewarded with 3 FFs and 2 NCAA titles, to go along with 7 overall NCAA bids in the last 10 seasons. Not too shabby.