I used this source
by NDoggie78 (2018-05-29 17:09:07)
Edited on 2018-05-29 17:12:14

In reply to: my source says 20, but whatever...  posted by DavidAddison

Having the money isn't the reason for adding the sport, it is to point out that it shouldn't be a hindrance for adding. Also in your cost analysis, it is likely that those same women on the hockey team would be getting some portion of that money even if there wasn't a hockey team.

You could have used these same arguments when women's basketball was a club sport - when men's lacrosse was a club sport. Becoming a varsity sport was the catalyst for these teams. Whose to say that wouldn't happen for women's hockey? Money is not the obstacle, people who don't want to expand opportunities or think cost should dissuade having these teams or those that "don't like women's hockey" (the small sample on this board are in favor)

I'd venture to say that most athletes not playing football or basketball could get into ND on their own merits - playing a varsity sport may give them the nod where resumes are equal. I don't think they are taking many spots from other "qualified" students. Besides, I'd rather have more well-rounded student body then the way the direction the student body is headed.

Go vs: no-go is differing opinions...
by DavidAddison  (2018-05-30 06:56:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I definitely disagree on a couple of your points.

It would seem clear that internally sports are charged full value for their scholarships, because non-athlete need based money comes from different pools of money entirely, including donor based scholarship funds and presumably some small percentage of the endowment.

And I totally disagree that most scholarship athletes outside of football and basketball would’ve been admitted to ND anyway. The quality of students being turned away is amazing, and we are not just talking about bookworm dorks. I’m sure many of our athletes are smart and good or even great students. Did they all average 33-35 on ACT?

And those amazing students go on to great colleges. I'd
by Irish Tool  (2018-06-01 00:00:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be very interested in supporting additional sports if the pool of students is likely to increase socio-economic diversity. The big help in my view is that the athletes go to ND (or another D-1 school) instead of a random third tier college they can afford (or no college at all).

Those other amazing students will be just fine.

Thank goodness you know what’s best for everyone
by DavidAddison  (2018-06-01 23:25:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Silly kids with silly dreams, better off elsewhere.

Unless you want ND to enroll 15,000+, this is how it'll be. *
by Irish Tool  (2018-06-04 09:21:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're kind of making my point *
by DavidAddison  (2018-06-05 13:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're quibbling over another 25 spots not going to
by Irish Tool  (2018-06-07 09:49:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

deserving upper middle class white kids who will be fully capable of attending (Marquette, BC, Villanova, State U, etc.) and having successful careers thereafter. 25 out of the 12,000+ well-qualified applicants who don't get accepted.

My point is there will be thousands of well-qualified upper middle class white kids who don't get in regardless of whether ND adds a sport or two.