Is the scope of replay too broad?
by SixShutouts66 (2019-03-02 12:42:40)

In reply to: The worst thing about the goal reversal last night  posted by wearendhockey

I can see legitimate reasons for replay:
Whether the puck went in the net
Whether the puck went out of play
Goalie interference
Length of penalty (4 minutes or 5 versus 2)

It seems we're getting too many "legalistic" challenges (e.g. was the skate blade touching the ice at the blue line).

In the NHL and NCAA I've been a long time advocating...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-02 14:22:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a limit to goal reversals on off side calls. Something like 3 touches in the OZ, 10 seconds - something. I've seen goals reversed in the NHL after 45-60 seconds of possessions (by both teams) in the OZ which result in a goal - that then gets called back, In the NHL a lot of GM's would like to ditch it on offside but for some reason I don't get a lot of coaches have been against that.

When you broke the blue line 3 minutes earlier
by DakotaDomer  (2019-03-02 14:08:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Those piss me off

I think any replay is too broad.
by wearendhockey  (2019-03-02 13:39:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hate it in all sports.

If we have to be subjected to it, here's what I'd allow: A coach gets one challenge per game, about any call of any type he or she thinks the refs blew. One call. About anything. Cue up all the angles of the play in question, (of course you need to know WHAT the coach is challenging, something Pochmara and Kronforst apparently did not get right last night) give the refs ONE look at each angle in slow motion and make a call based on that. We've turned every freeking replay into a Zapruder film.

Zapruder is a great analogy ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-03-02 14:25:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

actually, after watching enough NHL offside replay reviews, I know more about whether a guy's right skate looks like he's just seen the sharpener than I do about the shots in Dallas.