Resilient is exactly the word I was thinking of ..
by BIGSKYND (2019-11-09 22:50:38)

In reply to: That was a resilient effort.  posted by wearendhockey

and adding to all the points you made this is a game of depth. They came out to shut down our top line and the next guys stepped up making big plays when needed. It’s still early but really good teams find that depth.

The sum is greater than its parts! We have one high-end
by ZAHM82  (2019-11-10 02:10:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

draft pick and the fewest NHL draftees in a long time yet they are playing a great team game and one I appreciate a lot more than some great individual play by a bunch of first round players.

More and more "first round" means ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-11-10 10:51:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one and done if they even show up. You might ride an Eichel to the FF if you're lucky but that's not a great formula.

God help us if the sport and the NHL draft
by wearendhockey  (2019-11-10 11:59:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ever went the route of the NBA. One of the reasons I have always liked college hockey was the play was often so much more fundamentally sound than professional hockey. After Jackson came to Notre Dame and I got to watch how he practiced and taught the game I appreciated it even more.

We've mostly been lucky when it comes to losing players early and in the few instances where it happened, I think both parties were generally better off. Kyle Palmieri has been a pretty good NHL player for a decade now but he was not a good presence on a college hockey team, especially one with the style of accountability of a Jeff Jackson team.

Agree on Palmieri - the problem today ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-11-10 14:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that most 1st round kids - NTDP being especially prone - have their posses all telling them they're good enough to jump. And in the NHL today - unlike even 10 years ago - it's much easier for an 18-19 year old to start and make an impact. The lone outlier G, because the way D is played now even those guys can step in.