The sum is greater than its parts! We have one high-end
by ZAHM82 (2019-11-10 02:10:17)

In reply to: Resilient is exactly the word I was thinking of ..  posted by BIGSKYND

draft pick and the fewest NHL draftees in a long time yet they are playing a great team game and one I appreciate a lot more than some great individual play by a bunch of first round players.

More and more "first round" means ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-11-10 10:51:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one and done if they even show up. You might ride an Eichel to the FF if you're lucky but that's not a great formula.

God help us if the sport and the NHL draft
by wearendhockey  (2019-11-10 11:59:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ever went the route of the NBA. One of the reasons I have always liked college hockey was the play was often so much more fundamentally sound than professional hockey. After Jackson came to Notre Dame and I got to watch how he practiced and taught the game I appreciated it even more.

We've mostly been lucky when it comes to losing players early and in the few instances where it happened, I think both parties were generally better off. Kyle Palmieri has been a pretty good NHL player for a decade now but he was not a good presence on a college hockey team, especially one with the style of accountability of a Jeff Jackson team.

Agree on Palmieri - the problem today ...
by BIGSKYND  (2019-11-10 14:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that most 1st round kids - NTDP being especially prone - have their posses all telling them they're good enough to jump. And in the NHL today - unlike even 10 years ago - it's much easier for an 18-19 year old to start and make an impact. The lone outlier G, because the way D is played now even those guys can step in.