Such a contrast to when Abby was diagnosed. I thought
by MountainMan (2023-05-19 06:49:35)

In reply to: Likely only if she personally says what it was *  posted by Btd

the outpouring of support for her was heart warming. I just can't figure out why the secrecy is needed or helpful.

However, if that's Liv's decision we have to respect it. At this point we all know it's fairly serious. (Anyone watching the actual injury knew that.)

I think HIPPA prevents disclosure unless a player waives
by btd  (2023-05-19 14:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the right to keep it private. It's likely different in the pro sports because they are employees and probably signed something that allows the leagues to disclose based on their cryptic rules on injury status.

Thanks for clearing that up. *
by MountainMan  (2023-05-19 16:01:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

HIPAA only applies to healthcare providers.
by Cavanaugh82  (2023-05-19 15:19:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the trainers or coaches know what the injury is they are not legally obligated to keep it a secret. If Olivia prefers not to share it with the rest of the world then it is a courtesy to her that everyone else is maintaining silence.

Not entirely true -- I know first hand having run the
by btd  (2023-05-19 17:42:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

largest drug safety consulting company in the world and having all top 50 pharmaceutical companies as my customers and hosting over 200 pharmaceutical company's safety database systems.

My company is (EDIT: was not -- I sold the company) not a healthcare provider nor are pharmaceutical companies considered to be healthcare porviders, yet we all had to adhere to HIPPA regulations (along with a pile of other ones -- especially when you do the union of every single law worldwide where an approved or phase 3 clinical product exists). It was an explicit part of every contract we entered into, part of the incredibly detailed and complex security audits we had to pass before a company could legally contract with us, etc.

Above said, your point still stands because if it is true players have signed a waiver upon accepting a scholarship at ND, then it is moot. The doctors employed by ND that are working with any athlete would legally be considered healthcare providers BTW - hence unable to disclose data to anyone sans a waiver allowing them to do it (so a coach could not get the info from the team doctor sans that waiver).

EDIT2: Also, those trainers and likely all coaches are going to likely be legally required to sign confidentiality agreements related to this matter. That CDA is what allows the doctor to then share information with them -- and for that matter is part of what lets the trainers diagnose injuries, etc. It then knits it all together all the way back to the HCP that is bound by HIPPA. It in effect is what trickled down to the pharmaceutical companies who then had to pass it down to every single vendor they interact with that can in any way access patient data (which the pharmaceutical companies get from the HCPs for every adverse event that is reported).

That sounds like an exciting and gratifying enterprise.
by Cavanaugh82  (2023-05-19 19:21:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, any business or organization that handles or transmits patient information upstream from the patient falls under HIPAA and by HHS definition is a "covered entity". I worked within the pharmaceutical and medical device industry for 30 years and oversaw several clinical trials for new devices and I, and our companies, were required to adhere to robust confidentiality provision in handling patient data.

Too many people misunderstand what HIPAA is and they assume that it applies to everyone. There are some other grey areas around college trainers depending on whether they are employed by the university athletic department or by the university hospital to which athletes are referred to for care so a thorough and detailed waiver is probably advisable for all concerned.

That's what it sounds like. *
by MountainMan  (2023-05-19 16:02:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post