Article in Washington Post on NCAA and Arike in DWS
by JFM86 (2018-04-19 11:15:48)

The article talks a bit about the particulars of the NCAA granting a waiver for Arike to participate in the show and potentially profit from her publicity as an NCAA athlete. It then goes into how it could set a precedent for other NCAA athletes to do the same.

Just say no
by nails1  (2018-04-20 22:50:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am not in favor of the NCAA allowing this. Her invite to be on the show is a direct result of her fame as a college player. There can be no argument about that point of fact. No way should she be eligible to be paid winnings from the show based on the NCAA rules. Even if she were to decline winnings (prizes, gifts or money), she will still be benefiting from enhanced name recognition and a further expansion of her marketability which can be parlayed into higher income after college basketball. There is & should be a bright line between amateur & professional sports. Every individual knows the rules when choosing to play college sports. Those who are pushing to blur the lines are damaging college athletics. It makes me sad to think Arike could part of that.

Off base
by rjp172  (2018-04-22 09:44:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND, NCAA, and ESPN will be making money off of Arike's F4 performance for years to come. Success in athletics on a national stage brings media exposure that has monetary value. If any of the previously mentioned institutions had to pay for said exposure the price would be in the ten's of millions of dollars.

Johnny Manziel is a perfect example.According to a study by Joyce Julius & Associates, a research firm in Ann Arbor who have been conducting these studies for years for various institutions, Manziel generated $37m-worth of media exposure for his school in 2012. That doesn't include what may have been made off his likeness, jersey, etc. sold by the university itself. No doubt that Arike's late game heroics won't hold the same value as a star quarterback, but that exposure would still be very pricey. Although there are several lawsuits challenging the current practice of schools using an athlete's likeness for advertising...the athlete's likeness and name can be used essentially forever. Not just the years they are receiving an athletic scholarship.

This isn't even taking into account how much alumni donations go up after athletic success on a national level. Most studies pertain to men's sports because frankly women's athletic success isn't very important to donors. Still, alumni donations will increase even if the total dollar amount is much less significant than if the football team won a national championship.

Olympic sport athletes have been allowed to earn money for their athletic performances for years. Some upwards of six figures. That is for actually competing in a sport that they are currently receiving a scholarship...not dancing on a TV show.

The current NCAA model of athletic amateurism is out of date. It was created and written long before increased media and internet coverage.

NCAA and school's profitability has increased tremendously in the past decade while the benefit to the athletes has stayed relatively the same.

Lastly, I highly doubt "every individual knows the rules when choosing to play college sports." No recruiter sits at the kid's kitchen table and tells them...btw "if we win a national championship and you are a large reason for it...where going to re-create and sell you image for OUR profit for the rest of your life...or at least until there is no more money to be made."

I don't know how I feel about this yet.
by 2ndstreeter  (2018-04-19 19:41:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can see the possible positives and negatives that may come out of it and the truth will probably be somewhere in the middle when it's all said and done. The only thing for sure is that it's new territory and I hope to high heaven this doesn't create a problem no one foresees at this point.

Arike
by Homeboy73  (2018-04-19 19:17:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does Arike get money in all cases, or only if she wins? (I don’t watch DWS). Might that be a distinguishing point re NCAA blessing?

If this becomes the norm, there will be a lot more
by HoundDog1973  (2018-04-19 18:19:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

corruption in college recruiting in all of the high profile sports. High school kids will be "guaranteed" certain avenues to profit from their high profile playing for a high profile school. It will be subsidized by the school's heavy hitting boosters. The rich will get richer, etc.

Does NCAA make money off tourney like they do the Men's?
by NDoggie78  (2018-04-19 15:16:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why do I see this being in the NCAA's best interest so they can grow Women's bball and make more money on the Tournament?

Definitely not like the men.
by ndbutch  (2018-04-19 19:24:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ESPN wouldn't be broadcasting it exclusively for one thing. Teams wouldn't be playing home games either in the early rounds. A 10th seed can beat a #2 in men's college basketball. The #25 ranked women's team often gets beat by 25+ points on a neutral court by a top 5 team.

It's a way for the NCAA to dabble in athlete compensation
by Kayo  (2018-04-19 14:47:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the wake of the FBI's revelations about men's basketball as well as the name/image/likeness lawsuits it has lost, the NCAA is trying to decide what to do about both direct and indirect athlete compensation. This is an opportunity to see how it goes outside of the cesspool that exists in other sports.

This isn't a one of a kind situation..
by TWO  (2018-04-19 13:46:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so this is setting a precedent of sorts. It doesn't open the door wide, but there is a crack now and other student athletes that do amazing things and become famous will no doubt seek to exploit this crack in the door.

Tua Tagovailoa coming off the bench and throwing that pass to win the Nat'l Championship made him famous. Don't know how he could have capitalized on it, hate to think DWTS is the only way, but there had to have been a way. And now that Arike has opened that door, athletes and potential venues for them to make money on their stardom will start trying to open it wider.

I don't think it's only because she didn't call DWTS and ask if she could come on the show, going forward athletes and their parents are going to be able to seek out similar venues. I doubt if they will be able to sign with a talent agency to promote them though.

Arike may become known as the Curt Flood of intercollegiate
by MPG  (2018-04-19 13:57:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

athletics. The NCAA may soon need to be adding staff to monitor the new situations that will arise. Imagine what schemes some boosters and parents will be inventing.

Can a 21 year old student keep a level head during
by foxrocks (click here to email the poster)  (2018-04-19 13:39:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all of this?

I worry about this a little *
by ufl  (2018-04-19 13:46:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Injuries are a common occurrence with
by irishwest  (2018-04-19 17:52:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this show. The practices ( many late hours) lead to injuries.. sprains, ankles/ etc which should be of concern. My wife and I watch it every year and while somewhat staged ( fan favorites get higher scores) there are many pros and stars with problems.

Lots of stress.. Hopefully she gets eliminated early.

The flip side of that...
by cbiebel  (2018-04-19 19:32:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even many of the athletes comment that the dance rehearsals and routines require a lot of physical work, and they get in even better shape.

Help me out. From start to winner, how long is this thing? * *
by Jon  (2018-04-19 18:18:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Per the article linked in the original post, 4 weeks
by jbrown_9999  (2018-04-19 19:28:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That doesn’t mean, though, the four-week show won’t be stressful, although perhaps not as stressful as Notre Dame’s NCAA tournament run. The first episode airs a week before final exams begin.

A Notre Dame spokesman said Ogunbowale’s dance partner, Gleb Savchenko, accompanied by a camera crew, has relocated to South Bend, Ind., for rehearsals. The show’s wardrobe department has FaceTimed Ogunbowale to discuss costumes. The pair will fly each week to Los Angeles, paid for by the television network, to perform.

Practicing in South Bend, that’s good. She can catch up on
by 1NDGal  (2018-04-20 09:44:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

school. I thought she was in L.A., in which case she’d have to scrap all classes. Furst show airs April 30, but they start practicing immediately upon cast announcement.

I do worry about team chemistry, but we’ll just have to see.

Dancing improves balance and agility. DWTS could make her an even better player.

Yes, and my concern is that she is being singled out and if
by Slotts  (2018-04-19 16:31:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there was ever a team effort, this was it. I think each of the starters were the leading scorer at least once in the NCAA tourney. I think it is a little unfair to them and it could lead to some resentment internal issues.

Me too. Never watched the show. When is it all over?
by Jon  (2018-04-19 15:43:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Husky girls are probably already back in the lab.

I'd hate to see this eat into that time. From what I understood, she was Marina'a gym-rat buddy. That's part of why they took home the gold.

Good news - with the summer trip, lots of time together *
by NDoggie78  (2018-04-19 16:19:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm surprised they're allowing her to accept prize money.
by NDBass  (2018-04-19 12:38:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I figured they'd let her be on the show, but not accept any money outside of expenses.

In 2021 we will vacate the wins and NC *
by ND8486  (2018-04-19 17:15:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You know ND always gets special treatment. *
by Slotts  (2018-04-19 13:06:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Awesome article. ND will benefit along with Arike-she along
by Domerduck  (2018-04-19 12:06:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with her teammates embody the "what will you fight for" ND brand. Other sports can leverage this and this continues to enlarge the power of the ND brand. Having our athletes have this type of benefit only helps us recruit the best who want to excel in other arenas. We certainly have had ND athletes use their fame to advance other causes . Corey Robinson's "One shirt-One Body" (linked) is another example and his fame (both from his father but also as an ND student athlete) helped expand that. I think these types of forums and opportunities, whether fun or philanthropic, help ND be a special place and wonderful choice for our recruits to be become part the Notre Dame family.

I agree that Arike's appearance will be great publicity
by JFM86  (2018-04-19 12:58:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It will be great publicity for her, for ND WBB and for the school itself. I agree that many of the athletes make great ambassadors for ND. It will be interesting to see how far the NCAA lets this go. Will this be a one off situation, or a general trend in the NCAA loosening their restrictions on college athletes profiting from their fame as amateur college athletes?

Wonder if any of her teamnmates will be in the audience *
by thethinman  (2018-04-19 14:55:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post