Here's an interesting question I came across...
by cbiebel (2018-10-20 19:55:42)

How many active coaches in Women's Basketball have coached in more than 3 Final Fours?

When I was solving this in my head, I was thinking, "Wait a minute...that can't be right, could it?"

Good question
by traditionnevergraduates  (2018-10-21 08:06:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many active coaches have coached at least 3 final fours and have more than 1 championship?

As dillon corrected us, the answer is still 4.
by domerduck  (2018-10-21 12:35:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same 3 + Mulkey, replacing Stringer.

rjp172 corrected us, assist to Dillon,
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-21 12:55:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Domerduck for most knowledge off the top of his head.

Sorry not giving proper credit, appreciate your correction.
by domerduck  (2018-10-21 16:15:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still if dillon hadn't mentioned Cheyney State making the F4 under Stringer it wouldn't have made sense to me. It was good on both rjp172 and dillon to keep us accurate.

I'llbite- my answer from my memory-
by domerduck  (2018-10-20 20:39:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Three: Geno, Tara, and Muffet who all have 8 or more. I think there are only 4 others who coached at least 4 final 4s: Summit, Barmore, Landers, and Gail Goestenkors.

I'll play.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-20 20:32:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I may be way off because I don't know enough history of women's basketball. However, here is how I think. We have some big clues:
1. active coaches
2. "more than 3 Final Fours"
3. "wait a minute…that can't be right, could it?"
4. Plus, why ask the question, unless the answer is not so obvious?

So Geno, Muffet, and Tara make 3. (I know enough about the history of women's basketball for those.)
Next come to mind are Dawn and "he who shall remain nameless". but how long have they really been around? Here is where I keep thinking of "more than 3". Why more than 3? Do those two coaches have 3 Final Fours or less?

I'm probably forgetting someone (or more) but I'll say just those 3.
Oops, how about Baylor? Oh well I'll still go with just those 3.

Those have 3...
by cbiebel  (2018-10-21 01:35:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And yes, it was just the 3 coaches who have more than 3. It's actually amazing to me that it's just them, and really puts into perspective that 5 year FF streak McGraw had (that was completely overshadowed by UConn's streak).

Those active coaches who have 3 are: Coale, Friese, Hatchell, Mulkey, and Walz.

DomerDuck got the four nonactive coaches who have had more than 3.

The nonactive coaches who had 3 are: Joe Ciampi (Auburn), Jody Conradt (Texas), Debbie Ryan (UVA) (One of Auriemma's former bosses) Paul Sanderford (Western Kentucky), and Linda Sharp (Southern Cal).

BTW, of the 5 coaches listed above, only 1 appearance of the 15 was after UConn's 1st NC (1995): Texas in 2003.

The Pokey Chatman (LSU) situation was kind of weird, since she coached 3 seasons, but didn't coach the team during her third season's Final Four, although I think she might have coached them in the Final Four in the year before she was officially hired, but they credit it to Sue Gunter, who got sick during the season.

What about the lady from Old Dominion? *
by supernd  (2018-10-21 08:48:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Marianne Stanley? More on the AIAW Years Here...
by dillon77  (2018-10-21 09:31:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Straight from Wikipedia (more attached)

The AIAW Women's Basketball Tournament was a national tournament for women's collegiate basketball teams in the United States, held annually from 1972 to 1982.[1][2] The winners of the AIAW tournaments from 1972 to 1981 are recognized as the national champions for those years.[3][4][5][6]

The AIAW tournament was discontinued after the NCAA began sponsoring a women's collegiate basketball tournament in 1982."

The key players during this stretch were:

- Immaculata (Penn.) (three-peat champion in 72-73-74) and other final four appearances. Coach: Cathy Rush
- Delta State (Miss.) (three-peat champion in 75-75-77). Coach: Margaret Wade
- Old Domininion (Va.) (two-time champion in 79, 80) Coach: Marianne Stanley.

Cathy Rush is in the Naismith Hall of Fame and was formerly married to long-time NBA referee, Ed Rush. Her team was featured in a movie about Immaculata and she still runs a basketball camp.

Wade is also in the Hall of Fame and was known for coaching Luisa Harris, who was a mid-70s superstar.

I think I read that McGraw was recruited by Immaculata
by cbiebel  (2018-10-21 13:55:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or at least someone suggested she should go there. I believe she said that her response was "No boys, no way!"

Immaculata is co-ed now. *
by Slotts  (2018-10-21 20:58:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

C. Vivian Stringer *
by rjp172  (2018-10-21 01:49:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good Call on C. Viv, Who Gets a "4" Here....
by dillon77  (2018-10-21 08:05:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

According to her Wikipedia post, Stringer is the first coach in NCAA history to lead three different schools to the NCAA Final Four. She did it with Rutgers (where she still is) in 2000 and 2007, the University of Iowa in 1993, and Cheyney State College (now Cheyney University of Pennsylvania) in 1982, the first year -- I believe -- this tourney was called the NCAA Tournament.

C. Viv, who many (including me) thought was on her way out to obsolescence,just had a big signing commitment from 6'4" Center Maori Davenport who played on the U18 National Team with with Anaya Peoples and was coached by the Louisville Coach. In fact, many thought she'd opt for the Cardinals. So, tip of the hat to C. Viv for signing away a top player from he who must not be named.

Oops!
by cbiebel  (2018-10-21 13:52:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I forgot her "3 at one school." The "going to Final Fours at different schools" is so rare, it completely slipped my mind.

It didn't help that we haven't heard much from her teams lately.

Wow! I knew 2 at Rutgers & 1 at Iowa, but Cheyney State? *
by domerduck  (2018-10-21 12:31:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cheyney is a historically black college. John Chaney
by Slotts  (2018-10-22 05:05:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

who later went to Temple coached there for a lot of years on the men's side. I saw him coach a bunch vs. Bloomsburg State College when I was a kid.

Wow, what a question! I learned a lot.
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-21 08:45:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My approach to quizzes is to figure out the answer the questioner has in mind. In this case, aside from not knowing most of these coaches you guys have mentioned, I was completely thrown off by cbiebel. But great question!

Always Fun When Some "off the top of your head" ...
by dillon77  (2018-10-21 13:30:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..questions can take on a great life of their own. Fun exercise.
I have not thought of Cathy Rush and Margaret Wade in ages. And with the commitment of Maori Davenport, C. Viv has now made boards for the first time in ages in a positive sense.

Agree, a lot of fun…thanks cbiebel et al. *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-10-21 13:39:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good call on your questionables.
by NDBass  (2018-10-20 20:58:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mulkey has the most with 3. I thought she had more than 3, but was confident Staley and Walz didn't.