Soul searching
by westsideirish (2018-12-04 16:42:42)

In reply to: ND image  posted by BB Junky

I am a senior citizen and an 18 year season ticket holder. I am probably like most on this board, in awe of last year’s championship season with the gritty performance by the team and awesome winning shots by Arike. I have been waiting for this season and last Sunday’s game since April. I left the game disappointed and embarrassed with the team’s preparation, play but mostly conduct.

I just read Arike’s apology to the fans on Twitter. As a fan, I hope she takes this time and does some real soul searching and the apology is not just a hollow statement. I would hope she would start with the National Anthem. I am glad she stands for its playing but it is obvious she brings her politics or beliefs to the playing as she and Brianna never place their hands over their hearts as the rest of the team and coaches do. Are you together with the team or not? I am not going to belabor this point but I hope she includes this behavior as she makes necessary attitude adjustments.

The Irish are a team in process and progress. This is a turning point moment. There’s enough talent to go far and to win another championship. Team chemistry begins with developing a we mentality. We had that last year. I will be praying for necessary corrections for this year’s team.

Not to start a political debate; however,
by hometown fan  (2018-12-04 23:47:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am fairly certain "proper protocol" is hand over heart for the pledge of allegiance. It is not protocol for anthem.

For informational purposes
by ghop  (2018-12-06 13:08:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From Title 36 of the U.S. Code

§301. National anthem

(a) Designation.—The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b) Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—

(1) when the flag is displayed—

(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and

(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Disagree
by oldbender  (2018-12-04 22:58:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've stood on many athletic fields for anthems and never placed my hand over my heart. In fact, in my day no one did and that included vets and servicemen to be. Love of country and, or, patriotism should not be determined by where one puts one's hands, just for info sake there's only two or three on the men' s team who do what you advocate and two of the guys who don't are active off the court doing good things on and off campus. I just don't think character or team unity is determined by hand placement on an anthem.

You can't glean political beliefs from that.
by ndbutch  (2018-12-04 19:19:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I crawled through rice paddies for this country and I don't place my hand over my heart. Sing either.

HUH?
by maverick  (2018-12-04 18:53:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm a Senior citizen too & spent 8 years in the Navy and I don't always put my hand over my heart. Geeeez that is really a nit pick. Plenty of athletes & people in the crowd at all sporting events don't stand at attention & put their hands over their hearts.

Exceptions
by westsideirish  (2018-12-04 22:15:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course, no one except Arike can answer why she does not put her hand over heart but the rest of her team, except one, does. My point is, if one sees themselves as a senior leader why not join teammates in this very visible moment.

I stand by my post
by maverick  (2018-12-04 23:35:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the other 2 right above mine. The gesture has nothing to with "leadership"

Thanks for sharing both your thoughts and her apology tweet *
by domerduck  (2018-12-04 17:51:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anthems
by LarryE  (2018-12-04 17:38:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for your viewpoint.

I watched the young ladies play in Vancouver. I can't say for certain and I didn't memorize which players were or were not placing their hand over their heart during the US national anthem but I do remember looking, I do remember there being virtually none that didn't, and the one I remember who did not was not either of those two. So again, I could be wrong, but I don't think that I would have missed both not doing it.

Canadians, myself included, for the most part do not place their hand over their heart during our anthem. There is nothing political in it and we certainly do not love our country and more or less than Americans do. Perhaps Canadians are permitted to be more reserved while from a far it appears that Americans must seemingly constantly pass a litmus test.

Just offering a different perspective.

Anthems
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-12-04 18:40:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for your viewpoint.

You have a very nice way of putting it: "it appears that Americans must seemingly constantly pass a litmus test." I think the more regimented programs will ensure everyone does it the same way. I like your interesting post and promote your different perspective.

Watching a bunch of international contests recently, I was struck by another amusing difference between the U.S. and other countries. All the girls/women who participated in the U17, U18 and 3x3's, including the Canadians, all sang their national anthems except the U.S. There is no political statement here—just a musical one. I always recommend singing whenever possible, especially in public. I realize it has much to do with our anthem.

Anthem
by LarryE  (2018-12-05 17:11:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, Canadians are much more apt to sing our anthem than anything else for sure. BTW My wife is American so no judgement for sure.

it isn't a particularly "user-friendly" song *
by Melanzana  (2018-12-04 20:38:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amen *
by BabaGhanouj  (2018-12-04 20:45:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you link to her tweet?
by Flanner89  (2018-12-04 16:52:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not much of a Twitter user, so I'm struggling to find it.

The Tweet
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2018-12-04 16:54:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To my Irish family, I let my emotions get the best of me on Sunday and I apologize for displaying that type of behavior. Thank you for always supporting us through everything. We love you guys! ☘️