Small nit - Women's team doesn't stay for Alma Mater?
by NDoggie78 (2019-01-14 09:38:33)

Like the Men's basketball team and football team.
Not a big deal I guess, but would be kind of nice with that many fans there.

I was at ND this weekend for hockey and basketball and noticed hockey team doesn't stay either (of course they were probably frustrated and angry)

They win so they can go with whatever tradition works.
by OITLinebacker  (2019-01-15 08:42:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Staying and swaying for Alma Mater is nice and all. A good gesture for the students who came out to support. A better gesture would be to win more often. The women's team wins their games and are extremely appreciative of the fans that cram the JACC for them. Unfortunately it isn't a lot of their fellow students, despite the fact that over the last 25 years they've had more finals appearances, more final 4 finishes, and more National Championships than MBB, Hockey, and Football combined all of which see larger student turnouts than WBB. Frankly, I wouldn't mind the other sports doing a bit more of what works for WBB and less of the not winning things they're currently doing.

Winning matters
by Murcer68  (2019-01-15 20:37:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Traditions don't mean as much without titles/final fours. I have great memories of the home football games because we won almost every home game from 1987-1990. The fact that students shook their keys on third down doesn't matter very much.

Maybe for the NC playoffs the Football team ...
by cbiebel  (2019-01-14 15:05:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should have painted their nails green. It's been a long tradition in Women's Basketball (longer than the Alma Mater being sung after Football games, which started in 2005 under Charlie Weis, compared to 1998 for Women's Basketball nail painting). It's the tradition of one of the ND teams, after all.

BTW, Weis did it as a salute to the ND students. There's usually a large group of ND students in the stands at Men's Basketball as well. The same generally can't be said for the Women's Basketball games.

Here here! I'm all for them painting their nails too! *
by goirish01  (2019-01-14 17:05:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, the salute to the students is the reason for the stay
by MPG  (2019-01-14 16:00:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and sway at FB and MBB games. The WBB team gathers at mid-court after each home game, waves, and throws t-shirts. That is good enough for me as an alum and season-ticket holder.

Muffet usually gives a wave to the band and gives them special recognition after winning an ACC title, a NCAA regional, or the NCAA championship game.

Not a small deal either given the traditions at ND. *
by Tim Kelley  (2019-01-14 09:49:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when did that start?
by golyadkin  (2019-01-14 10:33:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and who started it? and what makes it "tradition"? I think it was Weiss, someone I don't consider a great rep of our university.

Been going to games for decades. Certainly not “tradition”
by T-Bone  (2019-01-14 12:12:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in usual sense. Even in games the last few years.

Actually, 2005, so that would be 14 years
by cbiebel  (2019-01-14 15:17:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not quite "decades," just under a decade and a half.

Yet football and men's basketball do it
by NDoggie78  (2019-01-14 12:38:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not questioning whether it's a long standing "tradition", just curious if there was a reason the women didn't. Surely they are aware of it in other sports and I would think they might embrace it.

Not trying to start a controversy, just wondering if it was a conscious decision to forego doing it or just not something they ever felt they needed to do.

4 games in 3 days just made me aware - I hadn't even noticed before

We only get to one or two WBB home games a year, but I have
by T-Bone  (2019-01-14 15:15:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no recollection of "missing" the Alma Mater. Standing joke in the family that proof of my demise will be lack of response to a playing of Notre Dame Our Mother.

I take it as a salute to students, alumni, and fans support
by NDoggie78  (2019-01-14 10:50:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe not a long standing "tradition" but surely a nice gesture (and doesn't matter who or when it started). The fact that football and men's basketball do it (I believe I have seen lacrosse do it as well), make it a well known tradition.

I like it and many others do as well, so I just wondered why hockey and women's basketball don't. Only takes but a couple minutes. Doesn't mean I won't keep supporting them, was just curious.

They even play it at the end of Masses at the Basilica

Students don't attend womens games
by maverick  (2019-01-14 15:04:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So why "salute" them when they aren't there

Well alumni do and the players are students
by NDoggie78  (2019-01-14 15:33:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With that reasoning, I guess they shouldn't even play it

Maybe they tried before and no one stuck around - I'd understand. Just wanted to see if anyone had any insight on why it happens for some sports and not others

The reason it started in Football
by cbiebel  (2019-01-14 19:44:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was as a salute to the student section in the stands. The players being students is irrelevant to this discussion.

Football and Men's Basketball has a lot of students in the stands. Women's Basketball doesn't.

Thanks for explanation
by NDoggie78  (2019-01-15 08:28:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That makes sense, although I still think it would be a nice gesture. I know it's not exactly a chicken/egg thing - singing the alma mater won't bring students. And I'm not sure why students don't support the team, I went to women's games at the very infancy of the program when women's basketball hadn't developed into the exciting game it is today

Again, it wasn't supposed to be a criticism - it was genuine question

I'd like to see them do it as well, but...
by NDKevin  (2019-01-14 13:11:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... a much smaller percentage of the fans at the women's games are students and alumni compared to football and men's basketball. That could be part of the reason the "tradition" hasn't made its way to women's bball.

I like it as well...
by golyadkin  (2019-01-14 13:00:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but "tradition" is a hard term to define sometimes...

Regarding your last sentence
by ufl  (2019-01-14 11:12:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's been going on forever, a true tradition.

Interesting thing about it's debut
by cbiebel  (2019-01-14 15:30:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've always heard that it debuted at Rockne's funeral at ND. However, when I decided to do a search for it, while some pages list that as true, some official ND sites list it as debuting at halftime of the 1930 stadium dedication game and one other source said that it debuted at the October 7, 1931 premiere of Universal Pictures’ The Spirit of Notre Dame.

I don't remember it from when I was an undergraduate...
by ufl  (2019-01-14 10:47:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but those were the 60's so my memory may have gaps due to all the drugs.

Nor I (70's). Follow-Up Question
by dillon77  (2019-01-14 11:32:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for those who are able to attend ND home games on a frequent basis.

Is there a band/combo available to back it up or is there a recording playing? Or voices only?

Having some sort of accompaniment makes it easier for crowds, particularly if you don't know all the words.

Just wondering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

One element I do like about WCBB/a lot of men's basketball is the handshake at the end of the games. Puts a friendly punctuation point on the end of the contest.

Band when students are there
by NDoggie78  (2019-01-14 11:41:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saturday Mens basketball Concord high school played (but alma mater might have been a recording?)
Friday hockey there wasn't a band, but Saturday ND band (or portion of it) was there
Sunday, the ND band was there for the Women's game

I have been to other hockey and mens and Womens basketball when school is in session and there has always been an ND band.