Transfer timelines
by drmurray (2019-04-09 18:18:29)

This board is a wealth of knowledge... so...
When is the deadline for entering the portal?
When is the review/acceptance period?
When is the deadline for transfers to be complete?
Who sits out a year and who is eligible next year?
What animal does whalebone come from?

Question on this topic
by RISteve  (2019-04-10 08:47:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Transfers aside, how does the International pool of players work? For instance, I know coach Q of Syracuse realizes he cannot compete with the recruiting behemoths, so he gets much of his talent overseas. Is that a place MM can look to short-term to shore up the 19-20 roster? Or is the recruiting of these players on the same timeline as the HS kids in The US?
Lastly, I saw Cornelius of The U Is not returning but has eligibility remaining. Obviously, not a big, but great ACC experience. Any players like her available? Would she be in the portal? She is from The Netherlands, I believe.
Thanks

Cornelius Left To Play Professionally...
by dillon77  (2019-04-10 11:33:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..The U put out a press release featuring Cornelius saying it was a dream of hers and Katie Meier said she supported her wholeheartedly.

As for the international market, as we've discussed here, MM has not been big player here beyond the province of Ontario. It used to be that one could swoop in and get a player for the April signing date, but now that the international market is easier to scout due to the internet, reference services (particularly in Australia) and more and more events for international players, they're being snapped up earlier like U.S. girls.

Geno A. just got a commitment from a Croatian guard, but it's for 2020. BTW, that commitment -- along with Bueckers (still sob, sob) -- means that Van Lith is probably out of the picture (if she was ever really in it). I don't think she is for ND either, based on (no) reports. Wouldn't mind if she stays on the west coast, but Kim Mulkey and her staff have made several trips to Washington.

Most Transfers Happen Mid-March To Mid-April...
by dillon77  (2019-04-10 08:11:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..at least according to Raoul's notes, who keeps a blog on such matters.
Makes sense to me: season's over, mid-way (or more) through semester and/or want to plan for summer and next year.

Answers.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2019-04-09 18:46:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- No deadline. Student-athletes can ask to have their names put in the transfer portal at any time.
- Schools have two days after receiving written notification from the player to put him or her in the portal.
- When school starts? Not sure what you’re asking here.
- All sports other than baseball, basketball, football, and men’s ice hockey have a one-time transfer exception. As long as the student-athlete is academically eligible and the original school does not deny use of the one-time transfer exception, players in those sports are immediately eligible. For the sports that don’t have the one-time transfer exception, or players in other sports who already used it, those players have to sit a year unless they are a graduate transfer, get a waiver approved, or meet some other exception (sport was cut).
- Porpoise.