Agree. Thinking of This As a One-Year Deal...
by dillon77 (2019-04-15 09:20:01)

In reply to: To play 2 more years would make her a 6 year player  posted by Ajax

...at least initially.

MM talked about getting some experience to help out Jackie. Well, without Jackie, that became even more imperative.

While Walker hasn't played at all in two years, she did have a good first two seasons at North Carolina. It will be interesting to see what she can bring to the table after that time off: even a return to that form -- including decent outside shooting -- will help.

But I can't see wanting her for much longer than one year: the Irish do have young talent (Peoples, Gilbert, Proshaska) and you want them to get playing time. Plus, you've got Alli Campbell and hopefully others coming in.

Still think the primary and more pressing issue is getting a big: either a grad transfer (although the pickings look somewhat slim) or transfer (MSU's Cooks being the most prominent) and/or a frosh in 2020 (Marshall/Watson).

Still, look forward to what Desiree Walker can bring to the equation.

Seems most woman have been granted the injury extra year
by NDoggie78  (2019-04-15 09:37:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course that would be up to her and ND if they wanted to pursue.
Do you see her as a WNBA draftable player? Unless she is healthy and has a breakout year, don't see her foregoing an extra year for the WNBA (but of course that decision may not be in her hands)

Guess It's the Old "Let's Take One Year At A Time..."
by dillon77  (2019-04-15 10:29:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

- She was a top recruit coming out of high school and performed well her frosh season and most of her sophomore season until missing the last 10 games due to an injury.
- But she has not been in a game since early 2017.
- So, let's see what she brings to the court come Fall 2019.
- Like you said, at that point, I guess we'll see if ND and she want to petition the NCAA for another year or if she wants to go pro. If she wants to come back, I think she has to petition the NCAA for a 6th year.

Could be a lot of factors regarding the former: how well she comes back, how the team does with her, what other guards are recruited in the class of 200, etc.
- At the very least, MM has someone with D1 experience to pare with her (largely) neophyte guards.

Stay tuned.

Or at least pair. (I joke) *
by T-Bone  (2019-04-15 11:21:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post