The U16 Americas Women's Basketball Championships...
by dillon77 (2019-06-18 10:03:37)
Edited on 2019-06-18 15:25:39

...are taking place in Chile as I type. The U.S. beat El Salvador 114-19 in their opener that looked like the equivalent of a top HS varsity team vs an elementary team.

However, the next game is taking place at 8:15 p.m. EDT (20:15) today (Tuesday) and I believe you can get the feed on YouTube. If you have trouble, a couple of Boneyarders have a thread up and will have links into it.

Here are the players and their numbers:

Here is the US roster and their corresponding uniform numbers:

Saylor Poffenbarger - 4
Olivia Miles - 5
Londynn Jones - 6
Kiki Rice - 7
KK Bransford - 8
Amari DeBerry - 9
Payton Verhulst - 10
Janiah Barker -11
Timea Gardiner - 12
Aaliyah Moore - 13
Sonia Citron - 14
Lauren Betts - 15

You'll recognize a few of these folks from recruiting posts: Sonia Citron, Amari DeBerry, Olivia Miles, to name a few.

Once again, the competition against El Salvador was minimal at best, but Miles has a great handle and is a pass-first guard (look for the guard with the glasses on).

Citron is remarkably smooth for her age, both inside and out, and has impeccable form on her jump shot.

Others who caught my eye:
- Londynn Jones (#6): lefty guard who can set up at the three and drive. Some Vinnie Johnson here.
- Timea Gardner (#12): Started over DeBerry. Tall, very good and smooth at basics of a post. Nice form on the jumper. Looks physcially like Napheesa Collier.
- Payton Verhulst (#10). She started, too, and a lot of people didn't know who she was going into the trials. Tall, lithe and has spring and speed..you can tell this girl plays volleyball. Scorer. 6'0" plus, like Citron.
Strongly suggest that after a visit to Iowa, Coach Niele heads out to Kansas to see Verhulst.

I'll drop a boxscore against Chile.

U.S. Routs Mexico, 98-33; Some College Coaches Make Trip
by dillon77  (2019-06-20 06:45:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Payton Verhulst once again taking the lead: 19 points in 19+ minutes.
Lauren Betts with 14 rebounds in 20 minutes.

The quarterfinal match against Brazil is supposed to be at 3:30 pm EDT on Thursday(today).

According to SkinsHoops, some college coaches have made the trip to Chile to take in the team/prospects:

SkinsHoops86

Add UNC to the list of schools with a head coach at FIBA Americas U16. Clemson and Ole Miss HC's were at the game yesterday. There could be more but you can't tell from the stream, as the coaches are sitting on the same side as the video feed. Good 🔮info for down the line

UNC's new coach is Courtney Banghart, who came over to the Tarheels from Princeton. While at Princeton, there was said to be an interest in Sonia Citron. I'm sure that interest has kept and Banghart is also looking at other possible additions. Wonder who else has made the trip?

U.S. Team Beats Chile, 109-44,
by dillon77  (2019-06-19 06:50:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...which is also not surprising. Some of the players we brought up from El the Salvador game continued to do well, notably.

- Guard Sonia Citron had 16 points and only missed one three-pointer all night. She is amazingly sound from a technical standpoint for her age (well-schooled, lessons learned), efficient and smooth, smooth, smooth. She missed what...one three-pointer today? See her as a #2.

- Guard/Wing Payton Verhulst led the team with 21 points and had no hesitation to let it fly from three, hitting 6 of 13. Only part of her game that surprised me was only shooting 3-6 from the FT line. She is surprisingly agile. The talent/ability that goes into making her an all-state volleyball player is evident: she's quick off her feet to jump and has a really fast first step. There's a reason she's ahead of the break and open at the three point line, as as noted. That aspect of her game -- and the three's -- reminds me a bit of Maddie Cable, another surprisingly good athlete.

- Another new name: Lauren Betts, a 6'7" post from Colorado in the Class of 2022 (she's 15), who has lived a lot of her life in Europe, following her dad's pro career. (He's 7'1".)

The box score is linked below. I love the fact that they have the percentages in the shooting columns! She starts ahead of 2021 prospect Amari DeBerry and had 5 blocks in addition to her 16 points.

Payton was 3/6 from 3 and did not attempt a FT.
by Fighting_Artichoke  (2019-06-20 01:25:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you just read her column incorrectly.

Betts has been playing much better than DeBerry. She had 10 O-boards against Chile!

Thanks for the Correction!
by dillon77  (2019-06-20 06:49:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just when I think I can get by without glasses.....

Betts is such a presence at these games, towering over (even) her own teammates, let alone smaller opponents. Class of 2022..hope our coaches get fly Frontier and/or United out to Denver for frequent visits!

I'm struck by how Citron and Verhulst (and Soffenberger, for that matter) are all around the 6' mark. Guards are getting taller....

Thank you for the notes and news. "Smooth" is the word I
by MPG  (2019-06-18 13:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would also use for Sonia Citron. The more I see and hear about Payton Verhulst, the more I believe that ND should be recruiting her.

Is MM scheduled to go to Iowa? *
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-06-18 11:32:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If So, It Won't Be Unitl July
by dillon77  (2019-06-18 15:29:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

June's NCAA recruiting regulations only allow prospects to come to campus for either Official Vists (OV) and/or camps.

MM has been to see Clark twice (that we know of). It's probably wishful thinking on my part to hope she'd go see her again. At this point, it would probably be more beneficial to get Clark on campus for an OV.
Clark has said she wants to make up her mind before the start of her last high school season, so perhaps MM & Niele can bring her in for a football weekend.
Stay tuned.

Thanks. *
by BTFNDGUY  (2019-06-18 18:07:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post