U.S. Team Beats Chile, 109-44,
by dillon77 (2019-06-19 06:50:18)
Edited on 2019-06-19 06:59:16

In reply to: The U16 Americas Women's Basketball Championships...  posted by dillon77

...which is also not surprising. Some of the players we brought up from El the Salvador game continued to do well, notably.

- Guard Sonia Citron had 16 points and only missed one three-pointer all night. She is amazingly sound from a technical standpoint for her age (well-schooled, lessons learned), efficient and smooth, smooth, smooth. She missed what...one three-pointer today? See her as a #2.

- Guard/Wing Payton Verhulst led the team with 21 points and had no hesitation to let it fly from three, hitting 6 of 13. Only part of her game that surprised me was only shooting 3-6 from the FT line. She is surprisingly agile. The talent/ability that goes into making her an all-state volleyball player is evident: she's quick off her feet to jump and has a really fast first step. There's a reason she's ahead of the break and open at the three point line, as as noted. That aspect of her game -- and the three's -- reminds me a bit of Maddie Cable, another surprisingly good athlete.

- Another new name: Lauren Betts, a 6'7" post from Colorado in the Class of 2022 (she's 15), who has lived a lot of her life in Europe, following her dad's pro career. (He's 7'1".)

The box score is linked below. I love the fact that they have the percentages in the shooting columns! She starts ahead of 2021 prospect Amari DeBerry and had 5 blocks in addition to her 16 points.

Replies: