Mid-Summer Roster Reflections
by MPG (2019-07-11 11:25:59)

Earlier this week I listened to a WSBT radio interview with Mike Brey. As Mike discussed his roster, I began to see some parallels with the ND women's roster. In the spirit of Baba, I share these with the Bench!

Marta Sniezek and Rex Pflueger: grad student guards who are gritty defenders, good distributors of the ball, and suffered season ending injuries last year.

Destinee Walker and TJ Gibbs: experienced guards who will need to be solid defenders and add some scoring punch to their line-ups as likely starters. Their productivity, or lack of it, will be significant factors this season.

Mikayla Vaughn and John Mooney: Can Mik take the same step forward that John took last year as he became the low-post mainstay in his junior year? She doesn't have his three-point shot, but she needs to average 12 points and 9 rebounds per game for the Irish to prosper.

Abby Prohaska and Nik Djogo: willing defenders at the guard/wing positions who need to be more productive on offense, if they wish to increase their playing time.

Katlyn Gilbert and Robby Carmody: sophomore guards who had their first seasons curtailed by shoulder injuries. Can they become significant contributors on offense and defense?

Sam Brunelle and Nate Laszewski: young stretch 4s who must become highly effective three point shooters this season as well as providing some help on the defensive end.

Anaya Peoples and Dane Goodwin: versatile young guards who will need to be effective players this season.

Danielle Cosgrove and Chris Doherty: sophomore forwards with Irish surnames. The women need Danielle to show major improvement this season and it would help the men if Chris could do the same. She needs to play with his level of energy.

I also saw parallels between Jordan Nixon and Prentiss Hubb, but as we know all too well, Jordan is gone. I am hoping that I'll be able to link Juwan Durham with Erin DeGrate or another transfer post player, but time is slipping away...

Off season conditioning
by WaxonWaxoff  (2019-07-12 01:45:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IMO, it would be wise for Cosgrove and Prohaska to take a page from Jessica Shepards book and take some time this summer in working on their S&C and dropping a few Lbs. Shepard dropped 30 pounds last off season and it was evident in the improvement she showed last season, especially stamina wise. Prohaska is a little chunky and could use to drop a few pounds and improve her stamina as she'll be asked to step up her game this coming season. If Cosgrove is to be able to be productive in the post she'll need to work on upper body strenght and could afford to lose a few pounds as well. FWIW

Think you are off-base here
by Orangutan  (2019-07-12 11:54:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I follow both on instagram. "Chunky" is not a word I would use to determine the present body type of any Irish players.

If anything, Cosgrove may have already dropped a few pounds.

Abby just has a stockier build, I think. Like Hannah Huffman.

Off season conditioning
by WaxonWaxoff  (2019-07-12 14:09:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no offense intended to either.

I like Abby's build as well. Think she's fine. If anything
by Jon  (2019-07-12 12:08:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

go even harder in the weight room and add more hammer.

Actual footage of Abby playing defense at 7 years old:
by 1NDGal  (2019-07-14 16:10:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NB: It’s not actual footage.

Oh boy, it's been a while since I've laughed that hard! *
by Jon  (2019-07-15 11:31:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Men also adding Cormac Ryan & another thing in common ....
by NDoggie78  (2019-07-11 11:59:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

between these 2 rosters - They both have too few players.
Both have been hurt by transfers
Both need to recruit more players
Brey is handicapped by only being able to recruit 13 - Muffet is going to have to raise her optimum number just to keep 11 or 12

12?
by tb-sb  (2019-07-11 13:30:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NCAA allows men 13 scholarships. Do you know that ND limits it to 12 or is that MB's preference?

Typo - sorry *
by NDoggie78  (2019-07-11 15:13:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Comparisons
by hempfield75  (2019-07-11 11:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice article. Very good and to the point.I am wondering if the coaches have
seen something in Danielle during the summer camp that they may not be
going after a grad transfer as hard.

...I am also interested in how Gilbert responds to her shoulder injury. I
think she maybe one of the keys to ND having a great year. It sure would
be great to have a one two punch in Gilbert and Peoples.

...From what I have read and the clips I have seen of Peoples, I am really
excited to see her play.

...If Gilbert and Peoples are effective, and the other guards, could open
up Sam for some wide open 3s, especially on the wing. It also could open
up Mik for the 12 points 9 rebounds a game. I am confident she will have
a solid year. Again the key for her is not her productivity but foul
trouble. If she stays out of foul trouble, especially in the big games.
We will have a good year.

...You are correct on Abby for increased playing time. With the talent we
have coming in she needs to pick up her game offensively. It could even
get worse for her if we get the talent we are pursuing in 20-23. You can
not be just one dimensional with the talent and possible talent we have
coming in. Don't forget about Cole. She is just as gritty but is not
afraid to take and make the shot. I excited about her being back. I
like what she contributes to the team. She is a MM player.

...Any word if Benz will be back. I saw some nice improvement in her game
last year to warrant another offer.

...One more thing. How hard is it to get last minute tickets to a game?
I am thinking of stopping in during late fall winter on my way to PA.
Would be nice to catch my first game live.

SEG/Chief

Tickets
by NDLOVE42  (2019-07-11 18:38:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have 4 season tickets and with a little advance notice I would be glad to
have you as my guest !

ND Tickets
by hempfield75  (2019-07-12 14:50:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. Soon as I can finaiize my trip I will give you a ring a ding. Thanks
Really appreciate this.

SEG/Chief

ND Tickets
by NDLOVE42 (click here to email the poster)  (2019-07-14 13:03:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just email me when you have your plans set.

Thanks Again Will Do *
by hempfield75  (2019-07-15 14:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Few Answers for You.
by MPG  (2019-07-11 13:40:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nicole Benz will be back. She appears in all the informal team pictures from the summer.

I didn't include Katie Cole because there wasn't a comparable player on the men's roster.

Last minute tickets are always available, with the number varying with the demand for a given game. If you can't buy one at the box office, there is usually someone with an extra ticket outside the doors, or you can go to Vivid Seats to buy on-line. You deserve to see a live game!

NDWBB
by hempfield75  (2019-07-12 14:58:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for all the info. Glad to see Benz back for another year. Both her
and Cole can be on regular spots on a lot of teams, especially Cole. I
really like Cole as a player. She is an on the court face first player.
However, she does have a scoring punch. Sher maybethe surprise player of the
year this year. Plenty of time to recover from her injury and get ready
for the new year. She is a combat warrior. She earned a scholarship this
year. She will out to prove to everyone she earned it.

Thanks for the info about the tickets. Been following the ladies from the
beginning.

SEG/Chief